I’ll Never Forget | Teen Ink

I’ll Never Forget

By deanna-emrick BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
deanna-emrick BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Bang! A gunshot. My body shook as we pulled up a long driveway. The noise got louder and louder as we got to a small brown building. I look around and can’t help but feel nervous. I don’t see too many familiar faces, but the one I do see makes my heart skip a beat and my cheeks flash red, as if they were a stop light. He puts a small smirk on his face and walks towards me.

“Hi Deanna,” He says to me,

“Hi,” Was all I was able to say.

My heart felt like it was going to beat right out of my chest. As I sat down in a small torn up red chair I noticed that he followed me. He sat down in the chair right next to me. I never looked at him and I never said anything to him. I was scared.

We sat in this building for sometime while a man, I was soon going to know, told us it was time to go outside and grab our guns. My heart raced and I felt the sweat on my forehead start to slowly drip down my temples making its way to my neck.

“Let's go,” Cole said as he looked down at me with a stupidly cute smile on his face.

He held his hand out for me. I took it. His hand was so warm and inviting. As I stood up my legs felt weak but I pushed through it and walked through the door.

A chill was sent down my back as I walked out into the cold February air. I followed him to the back of his truck. As he opened the back of his truck, I saw a brown case laying on its side. I watched as he clicked open the case. He started taking out the two parts of his gun to show me how to put it together. As he handed me his gun my hands started to shake.

“Don’t be scared,” He said to me as he put his warm hand on my shoulder.

I give him a slight smile but he knew I was terrified.

As I sat and watched the first squad of five go out to shoot I couldn’t help but get a little excited that I would be next to shoot.

“ Are you ready to shoot,” A man named Bill, that I had only met an hour before, asked me.

“ As ready as I’ll ever be,” I said with nervousness in my voice.

As I walked out onto the line my heart felt like it was about to beat out of my chest and my body kept shaking. I looked to my right as I stood on post one, all I could see was Cole. He smiled at me, which sent butterflies through my body. He handed me his gun.

“Are you ready Deanna?”

“I think so”

“Take your time. There is no rush.”

I smiled and turned to look in front of me. As I slid the shell into the top barrel of the gun my breathing became labored and my heart started racing, as if I was running. I picked his gun up and mounted it into my shoulder. He helped me adjust it so it would be comfortable.

“Put your face on the gun and make sure it stays down on the gun also make sure you look down the barrel. Say pull when you are ready, then shoot,” He said to me.

I put my head firmly on the gun and closed my left eye. My heart raced. I took a deep breath and as I let it out I said,

“ PULL!”

As I saw the vibrant orange target come out of the house I moved the gun and shot at it. I hit it. As I dismounted the gun, I turned to look at Cole with joy in my eyes and a smile on my face. I was no longer scared; I was excited and wanted to keep shooting.

As I kept shooting it got even more exciting. I looked back at Cole after I took my last shot. His eyes were wide and shined from the February sun. As he grabbed his gun from me, his other hand grabbed mine and pulled me towards his truck.

“You did amazing Deanna!”

“Thank you,” I said with a wide smile.

He walked me to my truck. I turned around to look at him. He is the reason that I decided to do this and it made me happy to know that this is something that we would be able to do together. He took my hand into his and looked at me.

“Thank you,” He said to me

“For what?”

“This,” Was the last thing he said to me before his hand made his way up to my face and the other on the middle of my back.

He leaned down and kissed me.

In my story I went through the day I shot a gun for the first time and I also told a story about love. This day has been a day that I haven't been able to get out of my head so I thought that i would write it all down. This day started something amazing for me. I feel in love with not only an amazing guy, but I also feel in love with my sport.