Thankful for Thanksgiving | Teen Ink

Thankful for Thanksgiving

October 3, 2018
By matty-ice9 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
matty-ice9 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

1 container (16 oz.) BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
1 can (10-1/2 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 pkg. (30 oz.) ORE-IDA Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes
1 pkg. (8 oz.) KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese
3 green onions, sliced
2 cups corn flakes, crushed
1/4 cup butter, melted
 
Heat oven to 350°F.
Mix sour cream, soup and pepper in large bowl until blended. Add potatoes, cheese and onions; mix well.
Spoon into 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.Combine remaining ingredients; sprinkle over potato mixture.
Bake 45 to 50 min. or until hot and bubbly.

 

It neared 6 o’clock, the smell of those crunchy, yet gooey cheesy potatoes twisted and bended its way from the hot stove to my nostrils. I hadn’t eaten all day in preparation for the food frenzy. I heard the obnoxious dinner bell ring from a distance acting like a referee. The next play in the annual Hoeppner football game is going to be the last one, or else my stomach would devour me from the inside. This was going to be the kids year. My brother Kyle and I ran our favorite flea-flicker play. “BLUE 42 SET HIKE.” I toss the ball to kyle, fakes the run, tosses the ball back and sprints for the hail mary. I grip the pig’s skin in order to thread the needle on the mile long throw. Seemin like slow motion, the ball falls effortlessly into his wide open hands like a feather falling to the ground. It was finally over, we got the win and I can inexorably get my paws on those cheesy potatoes.

My plate consisted of 3 divided sides, 25 percent ham, 25 percent buttered rolls,and ultimately a massive pile of cheesy potatoes covered have of my plate. Grandma Nancy stated grab some veggies, I didn’t budge. Pound by pound I scarfed down the whole. Regretting my decision, the sound of my happy stomach was heard throughout the dining room. I unbuttoned 3 holes of my plaid shirt, unbuckled my belt and plopped right on the couch, passing out immediately. I was defeated by the cheesy potatoes this time, but was highly satisfied. This is why I’m thankful for Thanksgiving.