The Work of a Computer Designer | Teen Ink

The Work of a Computer Designer

Could you please explain the job that you have, what you do there, etc.?
Well, my title is art director which means that I do digital advertising for the internet or websites. I work in a cubicle. I have to use artistic, creative skills, interface design, and I use plenty of math, like algebra and trigonometry to create artificial intelligence in the designs.
What inspired you to do this kind of work?
I was always interested in art as a kid and wanted to be an animator. With this job I am able to do that.
Who taught you to do this and how intensive was it?
I got two college degrees that help support it, but mostly I taught myself. I am always learning new things, and am still learning. Because the market is changing, I always have to keep bringing new technologies to work.
With all due respect, what is the average salary for this type of job?
It depends on how good you are. Junior levels start at around 30,000 dollars a year, and as you go up, it can get up to 110,000 dollars annually, but sometimes it depends where you live.
What is the most rewarding part about your job?
I get a lot of variety. I get to do so many different things everyday so it never gets to be dull or bland.
Did you have any different work? What was it like compared to this work?
I was a low voltage electrician. I have regular hours and a regular paycheck now, as compared to then when hours were sometimes overnight and when I got paid per job. Also, I worked out of a van and was at a different place every day. This work is much friendlier and not so dirty.
How large is the work force for this type of job
Well, it depends. It’s a team effort in some regards. The task is a team effort but my job is unique.
What is the most important lesson you’ve learned in this job?
I don’t really know, but if there is one, it probably is something along the lines of, ‘If you search long enough and hard enough, there’s always an answer.’