Dear Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Vietnam Veteran

March 9, 2018
By Mkeens14 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Mkeens14 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Welcome home! I wanted to start off by saying this because I know the welcome you got after returning from Vietnam was not only tragic but also disrespectful. You had just put your life on hold to go fight for our nation and what you received in return was heartbreaking. I want to use this opportunity to say I truly appreciate all you have done for me and for this country. Because of your courage, I am free to live my life and pursue my dreams, and for that, I am grateful beyond words.

I don’t think I could be strong enough to do what you did at your young age. My biggest worries right now are deciding where I want to go to college and what I want to major in. I can’t even imagine having to worry about staying alive through a terrible war at this age. That’s why I consider you to be a real hero. You found a way to get past the fears and worries and fight for all of us back home. Because of your bravery, I don’t have to worry about life or death situations. I hope that someday I will be able to repay you and other veterans for that amazing gift you have given.

Last year I was given an opportunity to help out at a car wash and coffee sale to benefit Dryhootch. This is an organization that aims to help veterans with things ranging from PTSD to unemployment. They have coffee shops in Wisconsin where veterans can either work or come to for help adjusting to life after service. Before this event, I never thought about what life was like for veterans after the war was over, but after talking with one of the organizers, I learned for some the war is never over. She spoke about her son and the awful fears he has had to overcome, and after hearing his story I gained a strengthened appreciation for soldiers like you. I know that just saying it is not enough, but you are so strong, and I owe my life and my freedom to you.

I hope that you hear this a million times today because this is your day. This is your day to get the appreciation and welcome home that you deserve. Your service has allowed Americans to live the life that they desire, and for that we thank you. We thank you for bravely accepting the call to service. We thank you for withstanding the awful conditions in Vietnam. We thank you for protecting all of us with your life. I only wish I could be there to tell you this in person, but I’m sure everyone there will do a great job with making you feel like the hero you truly are. Thanks again for all that you have done, and welcome home!