Teen - Rachel Joy S. | Teen Ink

Teen - Rachel Joy S. MAG

By Jessica Huang BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Jessica Huang BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

When you hear the term “hero,” you might picture Superman lifting a bus or Spiderman spinning webs from his wrists, battling villains with ultra-­super powers. But not all heroes are mythical – some exist, right here, right now, everywhere on the planet.

It doesn’t take laser eyes or flying abilities to qualify as a hero. In fact, there are no specific standards to meet; it’s about the way people live life, their accomplishments and goals, and what they do to impact others.

With that in mind, knowing the true meaning of a hero is like seeing the world in a whole different perspective, or putting on glasses that immediately clear the blurriness. ­Heroes are all around us. Some risk their lives every day for our sake, and for that we give them our thanks. Yes, the traffic cop who gave you a speeding ticket is a hero; it’s his job to prevent accidents that might lead to serious injuries and death. Firefighters and soldiers stationed in Iraq are heroes, facing constant danger with bravery and honor.

My hero is Rachel Joy Scott. I never knew her, never talked to her, never laughed, cried, or joked with her. Her ­story, though, is what makes her unique.

Rachel was a intelligent young woman full of ambition and dreams of becoming an actress. Rachel was anything but selfish, ­going out of her way to reach out to the less fortunate, spreading her kindness everywhere.

When a student was bullied and tormented for being handicapped, it was Rachel who stepped up and shielded him from further harassment. When a suicidal teenager was ready to take his life, Rachel was there to befriend him and prevent a death. When a stranger walked into McDonald’s to find shelter from the cold, Rachel did not hesitate to buy a meal for him. Touched by her sympathy and love, lives have been changed by Rachel Joy Scott.

Unfortunately, on April 20, 1999, Rachel was one of several victims gunned down in the infamous Columbine massacre, a shooting at a Colorado high school that claimed 12 lives and injured 23. It is truly a heartbreaking tragedy that the life of this teenager, who had such a good heart, ended amid hate and violence, but Rachel’s legacy of love hasn’t died. Throughout her life, Rachel’s actions have helped countless others. It was her wish to start a chain reaction that would spread peace and compassion. If everyone continued Rachel’s efforts to make a positive difference, society would definitely change for the better.

It wasn’t the way Rachel was killed that found her a place in my heart – it was the way she lived, her accomplishments and goals, and what she did to change others’ lives. She might not have superpowers, but one thing’s for sure: Rachel Joy Scott is and ­always will be a true hero. Her deeds will never be forgotten.

on Oct. 10 2012 at 8:08 pm
itskendallraeyall BRONZE, Odenville, Alabama
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

To me, bullying is one of my biggest platforms. Lets change the world. - Demi Lovato

Rachel's Challenge came to my school when I was in 8th grade and that same year at my SGA conference I saw it again. Her uncle is an amazing man. I remember during the FOR Club meeting, I choked up and couldn't share my story with the other memebers, but when I saw him again he remebered me and gave me hug and said to "Stay strong". Amazing experience of my life <3

on Jul. 19 2012 at 6:39 pm
carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

dont give up she will talk someday my friend made this quote she is really cool cause she understands about my sister
it starts with ONE to make a differerence!!! i learned this quote at a leadership camp

ohana means family no one gets left behind

this is amazing very inspiring

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Jun. 1 2012 at 2:59 pm
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
I am touched.  Your writing is simply amazing, so fluent.  It's just flawless and truthful.  

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Jun. 1 2012 at 2:59 pm
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

MorganD BRONZE said...
on Oct. 10 2011 at 10:16 am
MorganD BRONZE, Neenah, Wisconsin
This article is amazing. It really spoke to me and made me think about helping others. Which is what i'm going to start doing. I want to help others not because i need to, but because i WANT too!!

on Sep. 6 2011 at 7:02 pm
I loved this article. It was truly amazing and very interesting.

on Jul. 31 2011 at 12:53 am
Fitzgerald96 GOLD, Folsom, California

“Writers aren't exactly people...they're a whole lot of people trying to be one person.”
F. Scott Fitzgerald quote

I loved your article especially the part about, "it’s not how she died but how she lived..." I think it’s sad how it takes a person dying often times for people to listen to what they said while they were alive. This girl sounds like a true hero and it’s inspiring to see people living their potential that we all have to use our lives to help others.   

on Apr. 14 2011 at 9:11 pm

she was a awesome person thatz why in ganna write abaut her ..my inglesh teacher told as to write abaut a incredible person .and i think i choose the righ person or hero..

on Feb. 5 2011 at 7:02 pm
Somika PLATINUM, Pilot, Virginia

Don't be afraid to fail because only through failure do you learn to succeed.
Unknown
-------------------------------------------

I love this it truely is amazing.  I know a person like that she is truely a herp to me and has helped me so much

on Jan. 18 2011 at 10:18 pm
AshleyNicole1995 GOLD, Queen City, Texas

Whatever is lovely...think about such things.-Philippians 4:8

This article is truly amazing!

I AM IRONMAN said...
on Nov. 11 2010 at 4:54 pm
Ilike haw you describe all the things shes done.

parisnpink86 said...
on Nov. 11 2010 at 8:08 am
parisnpink86, Cleveland, Ohio

you're an awesome writter :)

on Oct. 24 2010 at 9:37 pm
Jellybean9898 PLATINUM, Glendale, California

"When nothing goes right, go left"-Anonymous
"Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste to the sky as well as the Earth"-Henry David Thoreau

How is this pathetic?  Everyone chooses their heroes.  They can be anyone, they didn't even have to do a good deed.  They can be parents, or family, or friends, or your neighborhood hobo.  Just saying, man, this story is totally NOT pathetic

ricky said...
on Sep. 28 2010 at 11:19 am
this is so pathetic i just want to go and bomb china.....i love rickybobby

ryan nichols said...
on Nov. 11 2009 at 1:37 pm
ryan nichols, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
great article it interesting that i came acroos this name i reconized it but i didnt know where from them i read columbine i wrote her name in my paper on the columbine shooting tragic that people liker her haft to die. great paper well written good luck

on Jul. 24 2009 at 2:06 pm
Catherine.L BRONZE, Huddersfield, Other
You wrote this with such ease. A very well done!

SilentQ said...
on Jun. 30 2009 at 9:33 pm
If we forget what people have done it was like they never did it in the first place. Thank you for reminding us.

on Jun. 21 2009 at 5:56 am
BriannaBeloved BRONZE, Irmo, South Carolina
This article is beautifully written and very inspiring. It really touches deep down and personally..well done!

bebe23 said...
on Apr. 22 2009 at 2:26 am
this is truley inspiring!

on Apr. 18 2009 at 8:12 pm
joanofarc15 SILVER, Forest Lake, Minnesota

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent into the unknown place it leads." Erica Jong

This is very well written, and truly inspriring. You chose an amazing person as the topic of your article, and I loved it.