Dear Veteran, | Teen Ink

Dear Veteran,

December 1, 2016
By Sterlinganna PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
Sterlinganna PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
21 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,


You probably don’t know me, so I would like to introduce myself. My name is Annalise S., I am 17 years old and I live in Hartland, Wisconsin. I am writing to you today to express my gratitude.


When I was growing up, I didn’t truly understand the price people paid for our freedom. I didn’t truly understand freedom either. But, I understand now what freedom is and the price people had to pay for it. Nothing in this tremendous world of ours is free, especially our freedom. People like you have paid in blood, sweat, and tears; they paid for it in hard work, and for others it cost them their lives.


Fighting for freedom and what you believe in, is one of the most honorable things anyone could ever do. I am deeply grateful that you sacrificed yourself for us and what you believe in. Because of you, we can call home, home. Because of you, I have the ability to go to school and have a future. Because of you, I don’t have to live in fear like others around the world do.


I am proud to live in a country where people did so much for me. I am proud to live in a country where people fought my freedom. People that I don’t even know were willing to sacrifice their lives to ensure the safety of our country.


Our freedom is a gift—a gift of a thousand opportunities, a gift to speak my mind even if I am wrong, and a gift to be myself. I can’t even begin to understand the struggles you have faced and I am sure there are things you will never be able to forget.


My heart goes out to you. I will never understand your troubles or losses. You probably don’t know me, but I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for all you have done for our country. 


Sincerely,


Annalise S.