Firefighters | Teen Ink

Firefighters MAG

By Anonymous

   This is dedicated to all the firemen and women who losttheir lives on September 11th. May they rest in peace.

In the wake of theSeptember 11th tragedies, a new type of hero has emerged and stepped forward tohelp us all. These men and women don't have special powers that make them fly orlet them travel at the speed of light. These people do, however, have the will tolive and preserve the lives of others.

I remember when I was youngerdreaming of becoming a fireman so I could wear that cool hat and ride on the bigred truck and spray the huge water hose. I always wanted to be the person who wascaught on tape pulling people from a burning building or jumping into a river topull someone out of a sinking car. But the one thing that separates all of themfrom me is that I was thinking about doing it only for the glory, whilefirefighters do it because they want to. These men and women feel the need to goout every day and put their lives at risk just so they can give others anotherchance at life.

I can't really explain why they want to put their lives atrisk for others the way they do. I guess it's some weird sense of responsibility,a simple thing of pure courage and honor that these men and women have in theirhearts that makes them feel they want to help others. Whatever it is I'm gladthat they have it.