Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House | Teen Ink

Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House MAG

March 21, 2008
By Anonymous

On January 4, 2007, Nancy Pelosi became the first female speaker of the U.S. House of ­Representatives. This was a prominent breakthrough for women and young girls in the United States. America is setting an ­example for other ­countries by allowing woman to serve in top government positions. Nancy Pelosi has already changed many discriminatory attitudes about the woman’s proper role.

Nancy Pelosi has encouraged many women around the world to break through the “glass ceiling” and achieve their fullest potential. She sets an example for women in government and in other professions that many believe are reserved for men. Since Hillary Clinton’s candidacy for president, more people, even men, are realizing that women can perform all of the duties that men can. Around the world, stereotypes about women are slowly breaking down.

Nancy Pelosi showed me how to act in a different manner than what is expected of women. She inspired me to run for my school’s student government, something I normally would not have been ­interested in. Her example sparked me to campaign actively and led me to represent my school as student council vice president.

Because of this successful election, I am considering running for several major leadership positions outside of high school, including student council in college. This new interest has led me think about my future in a government position like city commissioner, state governor, or possibly as a member of Congress.

Nancy Pelosi’s achievements as speaker of the house will definitely expand opportunities for women in the world. Many people’s discriminatory beliefs that women should only be homemakers and raise children have been broken. Before long, I am sure this country will experience the first woman president. When this occurs, all people – women and men, girls and boys – will finally live in equality without any limiting factors.