Perseverance Personified | Teen Ink

Perseverance Personified

April 19, 2024
By gabbyrhoffman GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
gabbyrhoffman GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Perseverance; the drive in facing challenges and the refusal to give up, a trait seen in both history, literature and day to day life. 

Throughout the 2024 years of this world numerous individuals have demonstrated this trait, they have demonstrated remarkable perseverance throughout seemingly impossible obstacles. One woman who is the walking image of perseverance is Ruth Bader Ginsberg, a prominent figure who played a role in women's rights and gender equality throughout her time as a lawyer, judge, and supreme court justice. 

Ginsberg’s tireless advocacy for gender equality, from the days of her being a lawyer to being a United States Supreme Court justice, serves as a powerful testament to the transformative potential of perseverance. Despite facing countless barriers and discrimination, she refused to be deferred from her pursuit of justice and helping people. She challenged the status quo of equality, something that is huge to me as a 18 year old female with a dream for her life, this has inspired me to approach my own challenges with a similar approach of determination. 

Like millions of girls, Ginsberg has influenced me profoundly through her emphasis on the importance of using one's own voice to advocate for yourself and change. Something that does not come easy for many, but is especially challenging for me. As someone who struggles with ADHD, Anxiety, and Working Memory issues,school has never come easy to me.I often fell behind in middle school, being too afraid to speak up because I didn't want to be judged or simply felt stupid for not understanding different topics. 

Now, five years later, her influence on me has changed me for the better. I got accepted into all the colleges I applied to, and am going to college in the fall of 2024! The school I will be attending is the only one in the state with a direct admit program for my radiologic technology studies. There are four seats for this program, and it is highly competitive. I applied with little hope I would be one of the four. I waited for  four long months for the results and to my surprise, I was chosen. I am one of the four! I vividly remember driving down a curvy road, being 5 minutes from home, reading the email, and immediately starting to ball my eyes out. My hard work paid off, my perseverance paid off, my self advocacy paid off. I would never be where I am today or even close to where I am today, without perseverance in advocating for myself, just like RBG.

Ultimately, Ruth Bader Ginsberg legacy serves as a reminder that change is possible, even in the face of seemingly impossible odds. Her life and work has inspired me to persevere in challenge, to speak out, and to strive for more than just the ordinary. As I navigate through the rest of my life, I know it will not be an easy road, but I will carry with me the lessons of perseverance and resilience that Ginsberg exemplified, drawing strength from her example as I work to make a positive impact on myself, others, and the community.