What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What the United States Flag Stands For

November 4, 2022
By Anonymous

The flag of one's country is always held in high regard. It is a symbol of hope and peace. While also being a symbol of the sacrifices that were paid to keep the flag standing. The American flag is no exception. Often underappreciated, our flag shows our strength as a nation, and our determination to succeed. The men and women who gave their lives for the flag should not be forgotten. Their sacrifice is what allows us to live the lives we do today. 


Throughout our history as a nation, our politicians and armed forces have worked hard to keep the flag standing. I think of my grandpa who was in army reserves during the Vietnam War, and my cousin Kenny who served in Iraq as a combat medic. Our flag is not just cloth. It has more meaning than one can imagine. In the past it has been a beacon of hope for our citizens. It has been a symbol of safety to other countries. Each part of our flag is rooted in symbolism and shows that almost every day. 


During times of great struggle our flag has remained standing. During 9/11 our flag was carried by firefighters into the smoke, with our police and armed forces also wearing this flag on their arms every day. The flag is a sign of respect to our fallen and to those serving overseas. We owe the respect the flag demands. Freedom isn't free.


It is more than a cloth representation of our country. It is every American lost in conflict, every bullet and shell fired, every family that makes us who we are. The flag is not a symbol for one group. It is a symbol of America. The real America that we as a population have seemed to ignore. We are so caught up in the politics of our country that we forget the beauties and freedoms we share. We are the flag. Therefore we need to honor the esteem that it holds.