Elizabeth J: What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

Elizabeth J: What the United States Flag Stands For

November 4, 2022
By evasevcik SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
evasevcik SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Two thousand five hundred and twenty is the number of times I have said the Pledge of Allegiance—give or take. “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America…” five days a week, one hundred and eighty days a year, for fourteen years. 


Two thousand five hundred and twenty days I have stood up, removed a hat if applicable, placed my right hand over my heart, and followed along with the loudspeaker in the classroom, “...and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God…” 


Throughout the past fourteen years, students’ enthusiasm has died down while reciting the pledge. Today, some kids in my class don’t even stand. They remain seated, texting or typing away on their computer, ignoring everyone else in the room. Why don’t they stand? I often find myself wondering, as my eyes dart from flag to seated person(s), are they not thankful for their freedom and independence in this world? 


Two thousand five hundred and twenty days of pledging my allegiance to our flag, to our country, and to the soldiers who fought for our freedom and independence. “Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” 


The kids who stay seated and ignore the daily tribute to the flag, maybe just don’t understand, maybe their ignorance is getting the best of them. All I know for sure is that for two thousand five hundred and twenty days, I have proudly stood with hand on heart, paying my respects to our country. Doing my best each day to understand a new level of gratitude towards our red, white, and blue.