What the United States flag stands for. | Teen Ink

What the United States flag stands for.

November 4, 2022
By kyliepeterson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
kyliepeterson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The United States flag represents my growth and appreciation for our country. Growing up in a Chicago Public School, there wasn’t much of an emphasis on patriotism or much on the education of the flag's meaning. Of course, we learned the basics such as 13 stripes, 50 states, “liberty, and justice for all”, and things like that, but I never learned the real reasons. Millions of Americans, Germans, Jews, Vietnamese, Chinese and so many more died for this country. 


Around 2019, I stopped standing for The Pledge of Allegiance. I stopped standing because I didn’t agree with killing innocent people, and the robbery of countries and freedom for others for the last 529 years. We preach “Freedom For All” and acceptance “ For all men and women,” while actively murdering these men and women. 


Over the past two years, I have heard the personal stories of my grandfather who fought in Vietnam. I have seen the letters he sent to my grandmother written in broken English and scribbles. The fear that came with each gunshot and each body he saw. He was one of the lucky but unlucky people who made it out alive, but he knew many who didn’t. The scars that were left on his mind and body will never be forgotten, which is why we can’t forget about what they gave up.


Every war fought, every battle fought had a purpose, and that was to provide freedom for the 340,000,000 Americans whether they were born here or not. For these scars, we must show our appreciation, and teach both the bad and good sides of American History which includes all the truth, because without the truth we have nothing. Without the veterans and current soldiers, we are nothing. We aren’t free, we aren’t America; we're a country built on false hope and lies. So please, stand for the flag, and stand for The Pledge of Allegiance. Stand for my grandfather, and stand for the millions of other people who died in combat, because it is for our freedom.