Conquering the Battle | Teen Ink

Conquering the Battle

By Kate-V BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan
Kate-V BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan

Most people think that meeting your hero involves some kind of dramatic event. That wasn’t the case for me. I met my hero in school when we were both adorable, little kindergarteners. I didn’t have to search hard to find her. She was just right there, plopped down next to me on the story time carpet. Her name is Kennedee and neither she nor I knew that one day she would be fighting for her life.

When Kennedee discovered she had cancer we were in fourth grade. We were all overwhelmed with shock. It’s easy to think that things like this can’t happen to young kids, people close to you, or even you. Yet, there she was, with no choice in the matter. Cancer was picking a fight and she had to face it.

It was inspiring to see her come through with a smile each day after all she had been through. She never gave any impression that she was struggling, even though we knew there were tears. It’s hard to imagine all the doctors, hospitals, and painful tests she went through. Despite all this, she was so positive and encouraging, even when she lost all her of hair from medicine… even when her future wasn’t certain. We all watched Kennedee fight every step forward. Each obstacle and battle scar only made her stronger. It takes a brave fighter to push through doubt and hopelessness. Brave fighters become heroes.

Kennedee’s battle with cancer forced her to stand out even though she didn’t wish for the attention. She was center stage in many fundraisers to help pay for her treatment. Despite the unwanted attention, Kennedee’s fame had some perks too. Officer Cronk, a local police officer, was inspired by Kennedee’s story and wanted to help out. He escorted her to football games in his police car and made a point to check in on her at school. She was also interviewed on TV. This all made Kennedee feel very special.

Kennedee’s fight with cancer caused a change bigger than her. Many people were drawn to help her. Without intention, we learned that people working together makes a difference, not only for Kennedee but for everyone else too. She helped me see that adversity can create a positive change.

Kennedee and I are still good friends. We have known each other for almost nine years now. Her victory over cancer inspires others to have hope, no matter what challenges they are facing. Cancer is a battle that some fail to overcome - not Kennedee. She was young, but that didn’t stop her from being a fighter. Fighters inspire the best in people and teach us to never give up. That’s why she deserves to be a Michigan hero. She showed us how to be strong and brave no matter what the future holds. Best of all, she taught me that sometimes a hero could be sitting right next to you might miss it if you don’t look carefully.

My essay is about my hero and how I really got to know them. It talks about what they did to become who they are and how they inspired me. It is about Kennedee's life story and what you can do as well to help better the world.