Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

By paul37 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
paul37 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

I am very happy for you, that the honor flight is taking you to visit your memorial out in D.C. When I visited the monuments in D.C. in 2012, I was too young to realize the significance of them. But now, the monuments are perspective changing for me. Thinking back, I am in awe by the magnitude of people willing to sacrifice everything for this country. I am thankful for your sacrifice, and hope you enjoy visiting your monument.

My name is Paul, and I am a high school junior in Hartland, Wisconsin. At this time in my life, I am making a decision to go to college and plan my future career. As I make this decision, I cannot imagine having the courage to join the army. But you did. I thank you, for making the sacrifice that allows me to even have the choice. I am grateful for everything that you have done for this country.

To me, a hero is anyone who is willing to make a sacrifice for innocent others, even without knowing them. That is why I call all veterans heros. Thank you, for sacrificing your life at home, and even risking your own life, for the lives of others.   I do not have any close friends or relatives that have served, however, veterans are people I look up to. I look to you and all veterans as a role model for selflessness, bravery, strength, and loyalty. But most of all, for answering America’s call when needed. Your continued service and honor leave a lasting legacy to this country, and a lasting impression on me.

I would love to hear about your experiences if you would like to write back.

Sincerely,

Paul A.