Dear Korean War Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Korean War Veteran

January 7, 2019
By matty-ice9 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
matty-ice9 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Korean War Veteran,

When I heard that we were writing to veterans going on the honor flight, I was excited. I was excited to tell how much your service means to me. How all the sacrifice you gave affects me every single day. To start it out, I want to give you the most sincere thank you. Thank you, for stepping up to the challenge of war, thank you for showing the deepest amount of pride in the greatest country in the world.


My name is Matthew and I relate a lot to your life. My grandpa also served in the Korean War. 2016 he got his chance to attend the honor flight and see all the memorials made in his, and his fellow soldiers honor. I respect my grandpa dearly for all that he has achieved and respect you the same. He said the honor flight was one of the best experiences he’s had and I hope the same will happen for you. The feeling of importance is huge. The best part of the trip he said, was the welcome home. It was a feeling that wasn’t nearly the same the first time he came back. He was much more appreciated this time around and I hope the same for you.

The Korean War is very forgotten. It’s known as the forgotten war. I just wanted to let you know that I haven’t forgotten. I won’t forget the years you gave up to defend this country and our freedom. Appreciation for freedom can’t be described in words. It’s more than words. As you go on with your honor flight, keep in mind that this is your day. Your day to be proud of your service. Proud of your fallen brothers. Proud of your dedication to this amazing country. Enjoy your trip, you have earned it.


The author's comments:

Writing to a Korean war Veteran going on an upcoming honor flight