Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

By jojojordan116 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
jojojordan116 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

I’m sorry for the way you and your fellow veterans were welcomed back home, all those years ago. It’s hard for me to fathom, despite your sacrifice for this country, the way you all were treated upon your return. On behalf of a younger generation from a time after the war you fought, I’m sorry. I hope that you have experienced the ‘welcome home’ you were deserving of all those years ago.

I’ve never been able to thank a veteran for their service before. I’m very happy to finally have this opportunity, especially because I missed out on the opportunity only recently with the passing of my great uncle. I didn’t have the privilege to know the details of his service, or to even get to know him personally, but I know he was a good man. He fought for this country and what he believed in, and I have no doubt that you did the same. I admire you both for your service for this country, and I’m relieved to be able to say this to you, even though it is something I’ll never be able to say to him.

Thank you for your sacrifice. What you have done for this country is something I cannot possibly imagine myself stepping up to do. Being a junior with graduation almost around the corner, I still am unsure of what to do with my future. I might head off to college to find my way in life, or I might just dive in and figure it out on my own. You at this time of your life, however, might’ve stepped up and abandoned your life as a civilian to worry about fighting overseas. I will likely never have to experience anything like that ever in my life, and I admire you for that. Thank you for taking that step and fighting for this country.

Welcome home.

A Highschool Student

This letter was written for a veteran going on an oncoming honor flight.