Thank You, Vetran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Vetran

By TeenageGirl23 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
TeenageGirl23 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

Most people go about their lives without examining much what their work means. A plumber may never realize how the services he provides help those in his community or a garbage man might just go about his business, never concerning himself with how his work affects the lives of others.

For a person like you, the impact of your career choice is palpable. By sacrificing so much, you served our great country and worked each day to answer the call of duty. As I reflect on this, I think about how difficult it must be to make that choice.

I am a high school senior, at the point in my life when you had made such a commendable and honorable decision. I am so grateful that so many choose to make this path so I am able to continue my education and enjoy the great life this country has been able to provide me.

Thank you so much for working so hard to serve the country we are bonded by citizenship to. Leaving such an amazing legacy gives a great example to people in my generation on what it means to work hard and how important it is to put the greater good above your own comfort. I appreciate this so much and use it as inspiration to work hard in my school work and I have been reflecting on this a lot when considering my own career choices. Although I do not know exactly what I want to do in the future I know I want to accomplish one thing with my career, to make a difference in people’s lives.

Although your return to the United States was many years ago, I want to say Welcome Home. I wish I could have been standing at the airport with open arms to greet you as you return to our home, and to show you kindness as you adjust to living life as a civilian again.

Remember always that your service is appreciated and your sacrifice was in the name of our great Country, The United States Of America will always be cherished by so many. Thank you, and God bless you and your family.

My thoughts and prayers are with you,

Emma

I wrote this letter to a veteran going on an upcoming honor flight.