Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

January 7, 2019
By dbecks013 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
dbecks013 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam War Veteran,

I want you to know that you are a hero. A hero is someone who sacrifices for what they believe in, and do whatever it takes. The bravery, courage, and sacrifice that you have made 100% qualifies you for this label “hero”. Heroes are people that I look up to and make me want to say thank you to.


As a 16 year old, I can't understand what it must have been like to make the sacrifices you had to make to fight for our nation. In class, I recently watched the honor flight video. This inspired me to reach out to a vet, so here I am. I think it is very important to let you know how thankful myself and many more are for you serving our nation proudly.


I am writing this letter to let you know how much your sacrifices mean to me. They allow me to feel protected and allow me to stay at home and go to school, while you are fighting for our country and people of the United States. I really hope that you realize how appreciated your service truly is. I couldn’t imagine the constant worry that you and your family had to go through each and every day. Like I said before, these are all things that make you a hero.


For all these reasons, I hope you know that your service and sacrifice is greatly appreciated. While I cannot say this in person, I personally would like to welcome you home and say God Bless you and your family.


I hope to hear back from you sometime. If you would ever be so kind enough to respond back to this, I would love to read a response.


Thank you for your service,

                Derek