Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By glisteningwriting GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
glisteningwriting GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

On a crisp April afternoon last year, I stood by my father at a baseball game. My hand is placed delicately over my heart, my eyes focused steadily on the wavering flag across the stadium. I peeked a glance at my fellow ball fans, and I found I was immersed within a plethora of camera shutters and cell phones. However, all I could focus on was the flag. The flag which millions of Americans have defended; the flag that you have defended. All I can feel in my heart as I watch the flag wave to me is grateful for the sacrifices you have made.

My name is Megan, and I am a high school junior. During the school day, I am surrounded by an abundance of complaints. Students are complaining because they must wake up by six o’clock every day, and they have three tests in one day. However, whilst they were complaining about their trivial life issues, you were fighting in another country. In fact, you were fighting for us. When I walk into school, I think of you. I think of how you willingly sacrificed your safety for a greater America. At the age of seventeen, I am searching through college catalogs whilst you may have been enlisting in the Military. At such a young age, you offered to sacrifice everything for our future—for my future.

Three years ago, I visited Washington D.C. with my aunt for Christmas. I recall clearly the towering view of the Vietnam War Memorial Wall casting a shadow over my eyes. I remember tracing my hand over a few names, my fingers curving into the scripture in the wall. I remember allowing my mind to run rampant with gratitude as I smiled. I smiled because I am very grateful for your devotion to the United States of America. Your name will always be with me because of the difference you have made in my life.

The journey home was a difficult one, and I am dearly sorry for that, but I am here to say this: Welcome home. Welcome home to America, the place you are always able to call home. No amount of words can measure up to the appreciativeness I have for you. Thank you for your sacrifice. Thank you for your kind heart. Thank you for your bravery. Thank you for your courageousness. You are forever in my thoughts and prayers. You are an absolute blessing.

I would love to hear back from you and hear about some of your experiences.

Thank you.

I wrote this letter to a Veteran going on an upcoming Honor Flight.