Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

By blessedvilla BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
blessedvilla BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam War Vet,

God bless America that people like you serve our country, people that put others before themselves, people who put their life at risk for others safety. I’ve slowly realized this is the one of the only countries where I can grow up and be myself! Having choices for my education, wear what I want, worship what I want, and be who I want. I never realized just how blessed I am in this time, generation and location. Thank you for your bravery, for being the bodyguard to our countries safety.

My name is Sofia, in honor of my grandpa being a Vietnam war vet also, he never got something special like this letter, or being able to go on the Honor Flight before passing away. In my creative writing class we watched the video on the Honor Flight movie seeing how appreciative and blessed veterans feel on this day getting to see the memorials directed in honor of them made me feel so joyful and sad at the same time. Specifically, the Vietnam wall and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in honor of your service. With that in mind, it is my mission to give you the recognition and love you wholeheartedly deserve. On that note, your service was truly a blessing to this country because

Knowing the pain and suffering you went through those many years ago I’m sure your permanently marked with knowing how much work it took to get this country to where it is today. And so, I thank you so very much that you cared enough to risk your young life to serving this country and help make my future with open doors of opportunities. God bless that you survived those years of trauma so that you could come home to your family and live to be a legend to me and your whole country.

Welcome home! Seeing the bands, silent solute, the crowds of people with signs waiting to to be seen by your eyes. Seeing this amazing welcome home and welcome to DC in the videos brought warmth to my heart, gave me peace of mind knowing that you veterans are getting the recognition they deserve.

From my point of view the Vietnam war was in 1955-1975, war that happened way before my time about the Vietnamese resisting America. Now I realize how different your viewpoint must be, so much more significant, dangerous and meaningful and if you may I’d love a reply on how the war was like from your viewpoint! Your service was much appreciated and needed thank you so much for your service.

This is a letter to a vietnam veteran written from myself