Everyday Heross | Teen Ink

Everyday Heross

By CharlotteMiller SILVER, Winston Salem, North Carolina
CharlotteMiller SILVER, Winston Salem, North Carolina

"The best kind of friendships are fierce lady friendships, where you aggressively believe in each other, defend each other, and think the other deserves the world."
-Unknown

What is a hero? Is a hero someone who can fly through the clouds, or leap over tall buildings? Is a hero someone who can lift a car, or see through walls? Well, yes but also no.

For example, the novel “The Outsiders” shows everyday heroes when three of the main characters, Ponyboy, Dally, and Johnny run into a burning church to save the lives of the trapped children. Now, I am not saying that you have to seek out burning buildings , or anything that extravagant to be a hero. You could do a simple thing like opening a door for someone to brighten their day and you would be a hero. These characters were just ordinary people who made a huge heroic impact on the children’s lives.

You don't need superpowers to be a superhero. I know we have all heard this phrase, but have we really understood it? The concept that all we have is enough is a shaky concept for most people, we are sometimes oblivious that other people could use our help. We don't understand the possible amazing result if we help others and become heroes. The fact is that no matter how bad you think your situation is there is always someone who could use your help. There is always some way that you can be a hero, we just have to find it.

The Google Dictionary defines Hero as a person who is admired or idealized for courage, or outstanding achievements. I however disagree, I believe that a hero is defined by their personality and their need to help others not just their actions. Though lets say that heroes should be defined by their actions, you don't have to be saving people from burning buildings but, even if your heroic act is giving a dollar to a person in need is a heroic act, you could have saved him from starving or fed his children. Even opening the door for someone, helping them pick up their books if they drop them, or even just smiling at them could help them out of a dark place. Many of us don't understand how these small acts change people, and the truth is we don't need to, the only thing that we need to realize is that we all are heroes and no dictionary can define that.

Why should we bother being a hero? Why should we try to help others? Well the answer is simple, and selfish. It makes us happy, whether you would admit it or not. It makes us feel accomplished to help people. Even if it is the simplest thing you can hold your head a little higher knowing that you made someone's life a little bit happier.

Not too long ago I watched a movie called “Paying it Forward” this movie was the story of a young boy with a dream, to make the world a better place. This boy makes his school project about his concept of paying it forward. This is when he does three acts of kindness and then those three people do three more acts of kindness and those people and so on and so on. This concept made a wonderful movie and we can all apply it to real life. If we all pay it forward we can all be heroes and we can make the world better.
Every single person on this earth has what it takes to be a hero. It doesn't matter what financial situation you are in, or social grouping you are a part of, anyone can be a hero. Everyone has the capability to change someone's life. I remind you again of the heroic actions of Ponyboy, Dally, and Johnny when they saved those trapped children. They didn't have a lot of money or a high social status and to be frank they didn’t need it. They didn't need money to rescue those children, it isn't like they had to pay the church to stop burning or the church only let socs in, all that they needed they already had.

So in the end, what makes a hero? In my opinion, everything does. Everything that makes you you, makes you a hero. By not underestimating yourself, by having the need to help people like the example from the “Outsiders”, by knowing that you have everything you need to be a hero already, by not defining heroes, and by paying it forward we can all be heroes.

I wrote this after I read "The Outsiders" and I wanted to tell people that everyone is a hero.