Marina Raskova | Teen Ink

Marina Raskova

During Marina Raskova’s lifetime, she made some big changes and some small changes to the Soviet Union, but all of them impacted the Soviet Union with greatness. Her greatest accomplishment though, was forming an all women's group and helping her country through all the hardships of war. Although, women were still allowed in the military before Marina came along, most of the women's applications were denied or suddenly postponed. Marina and her team were the 1st women to receive “Hero Of The Soviet Union” medal, for their bravery and hard work of overcoming obstacles. She also went to the Soviet Union leader Joseph Stalin, and asked him if she could form an all women aviation unit. In September 1941, she performed a speech telling women to join the war as female pilots and navigators. As more people joined, Joseph Stalin had created 3 brand new air regiments called the 586th Fighter Aviation Regiment, 125th Guards Bomber Aviation Regiment, and the 46th Taman Guards Night Bomber Aviation Regiment. Each regiment consisted of 400 women, but the 588th bomber unit was known as “Night Witches” because in the night they would drop bombs on the Nazi territory. The all female bomber group, dropped over 23,000 tons of bombs on Nazi land. The women were so successful because the bomber planes were so small to show up on the Nazi radar and the wooden planes mimics the sound of a sweeping broom. Marina’s life was full of many accomplishments , but being able to ask the leader of the Soviet Union himself to form her own aviation unit, was her greatest one.

I did a report on her life and im exicted to share it with all of you!