Freedom of Speech | Teen Ink

Freedom of Speech

By Sammy18 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Sammy18 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

I am on a family vacation in the capital and I stand in front of The Declaration of Independence. I read the words slowly capturing their meaning. The core of America was in this document and the people who fought for this freedom made a country that would continue to grow and develop.

Pilgrims sailed across the Atlantic to a new land to start a new life. We created new religions and we started to develop new life skills that would progress throughout the ages. We fought for our independence against the most powerful nation and won. We started as 13 original colonies now we progressed to 50 states of one of the most powerful economies. Progression, it is a part of America, of who we are.

Created a new idea of the American Dream. Generations change the way we live and our values. Expanding women's rights to allowing people to love and marry who they want, the opportunity to go to school and get a degree in whatever you want. Go to the moon, explore the depths of the oceans, make life-changing medicine; as a nation, we have opportunities to go outside our areas of expertise to make the world a better place. Opportunity, it is a part of America, of who we are.

Established in 1585 with 100 colonists and now cities with more than 5 million people living in them. From horseback communication to the internet, and now cell phones; the citizens of the US have been improving technology and having our voices heard faster than ever. All ages are coming together and speaking out and changing the way we see topics that have been untouched since the beginning of time. The tradition choosing who the citizens of the United States wants as their leader and to have any person run for office. Tradition, it is apart of America, of who we are.

The Declaration of Independence states that we have the freedom to say what we want and fight for what we want. Americans build on progression, opportunity, tradition, and having the freedom of speech.