Baseball Games with Dad | Teen Ink

Baseball Games with Dad

November 14, 2018
By dbecks013 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
dbecks013 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My dad and I have been going to baseball games ever since I was a little kid. He preached to me at a young age why everyone was standing up, the people who weren’t standing had a disability or were too lazy to get up for the people who protect our nation and allow us to be at the game right now. He would go as far as to say to their face, “Stand up for these people allowing you to be here.” Eventually people would stand, because they realized they were silly not to honor these people fighting for our country, safety, and basic rights like freedom of speech. When I was young, I wondered why this flustered my dad so much, but as I grew older, I realized that he was right all along.

I am thankful for every single person who serves, and the most important reason is because they protect the American dream. They protect rights by going to war and serving our country while displaying bravery to protect rights that are the foundation of the USA like freedom of speech. We honor veterans at events by standing up and clapping for these people and also have specific days of the year dedicated to them. Memorial day and Veteran’s day are great ways to honor the people that fight for our rights, but this is only two days of the year. These brave men and women are the ones who allow us to speak against our government for what we believe in and speak about what we should do differently. Multiple countries don’t allow this. You are able to be killed for speaking out.

I am glad that my dad taught me how to honor veterans not only on Memorial day and Veterans day. He taught me how to honor veterans everyday and why it is so important. My dad and I are proud every day to go to baseball games and find other ways to honor these brave men and women who fight for our country, safety, and basic rights like freedom of speech.