A Call to Arms | Teen Ink

A Call to Arms

By livewisco GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
livewisco GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

On August 6th, 1944, the 95th Infantry division, including my great uncle Staff Sergeant Louis Kadwit, boards the USS Mariposa and sets sail for England. A few days later, the first struggle of many arises—seasickness. “It’s a funny sickness. First, you’re afraid you are going to die and in a short while, you wish you could die, but you’re afraid you won’t,” recalls Sergeant John E. Phillips. Five days pass before a sighting of land signals the agony of sea is over.

On September 13th, 1944, the division descends onto Omaha Beach along the coast of France—a place scarred with the destruction of D-Day. Home is Normandy, France, “characterized by small fields divided by hedgerows…towns were badly damaged and there were scars of the recent battles,” Sgt. Phillips remembers. But like all travelers, home is temporary and after a few days, the dark shadows of the Argonne forest are home.

On October 12th, 1944, General Patton visits and explains the mission—to relieve the fifth division. But like the old army game, plans change and the division departs for the French town of Metz. In this town, the regiment has its first casualty.

On October 19th, 1944, soldiers are in their foxholes, logs over the top for protection. Staff Sergeant Louis Kadwit caught an explosion and was killed instantly.

There aren’t many people in this world who will sacrifice themselves in order to protect the lives of millions. But servicemen and servicewomen don’t just protect the beating of our hearts, they protect our unalienable rights—our right to bear arms for protection, our right to practice whatever religion (or lack thereof) we deem appropriate, and our right to speak out against the government without repercussions.

My dad recalls military member once said, “I disagree with what you are saying, but I will put my life on the line to make sure you can say it.” No matter what is said or who is saying it, the wonderfully brave men and women of the United States military will answer the call to arms in order to protect our freedom of speech.