Educator of the Year Award Nomination | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year Award Nomination

June 8, 2018
By James808 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
James808 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Mr. Myers was a great teacher; he would always try his best to teach us. Go back in time to when you were in school and you had that one teacher whose class that you would always enjoy going to; well this was how I felt going to Mr. Myers’ class. He was kind and very professional. He was only a substitute teacher for a few months while our other teacher was on maternity leave. He worked hard to reach his goal.

Mr. Myers was an amazing teacher; he would do whatever it would take to help us out. He would stay after school and help with whatever he could. He was very professional. He wouldn’t let things get in his way. He was a very determined person. During class, if you needed help, he would help there and then, and he would make sure you understood. Even though he was a substitute teacher, he took the job he was given very seriously.

Mr. Myers was a very determined individual; he was determined to make sure that we all understood what we were learning. He would often stay after school and teach anyone who needed help understanding the material. He would not get frustrated and call it a day and leave early until he was sure that you understood what he was trying to teach you. Mr. Myers wouldn’t just tell you that you should just check your notes to figure it out on your own when you could be one hundred percent lost because you weren’t there the day before. Mr. Myers wouldn’t just give you the answers either; he would guide you to the answer and help you figure it out so that you could figure it out and help yourself to understand the work you had to complete.

Mr. Myers was not like others his age; he was different. He was much different, and I mean this in a good sense. He’s not the type to go out and party all night and make mistakes that he knows he’ll regret later. He is a great role model and is someone I look up to. During his time here he showed me that he’s truly a very professional and truly a great role model. He does not let anything get in the way of his goals. While working at DMA he had a goal set to visit all fifty states before he was 30, and he did. He just barely made his goal and finished his trip up in the state of Maine. The point was that he didn’t let work interfere with his goals.

I feel that personally, Mr. Myers changed my outlook on life. Listening to his stories about things he’s accomplished and the different experiences he’s had have shown me that you must enjoy life more often and not let things get in the way of goals you want to accomplish. Mr. Myers also had a more relaxed side to himself; at the end of the day, he would let us watch clips of him and his skills in video games. All of the boys were entertained but the girls not so much. Also, from time to time, he would tell us of an important life experience he had. Mr. Myers also had a more serious attitude which everyone had respect for since he had helped all of us earn our good grades and understand all of the different math concepts.

In conclusion, I believe that Mr. Myers is an educator worth being nominated for the Educator of the Year Award for the following reasons. Mr. Myers was a great instructor who was always willing to teach. Even though he was a substitute teacher, he took the job very seriously. Mr. Myers was a very determined individual; he was determined to make sure that we all understood what we were learning. He does not let anything get in the way of his goals. He is a great role model and is someone I look up to.