Msgt Howie | Teen Ink

Msgt Howie

By Ayana31303 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Ayana31303 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

I chose Msgt Howie to be our Educator of the year because he is the best of the best. He served in the Marines, fought for our country, and now he is my Naval Science Instructor.  I am very grateful for him sharing his stories and experiences with the class. Msgt Howie is one of the kind, inspiring our class everyday, teaching us, what he did in the Marines, and making a huge impact on my life. He deserves to be our Educator of the year; he’s a hero.

Msgt Howie can be stern at times, but overall he is one of the funniest people I know. I have his class last, so it’s the best way to end the day. Sometimes he has music playing when we walk in, and he’s always being friendly with his students. When we drill, sometimes he takes control of the platoon, and when he does, he makes it very fun shouting LEFT LEFT LEFT RIGHT! LOOKING GOOD, SOUNDING GOOD! Whenever I pass him in the hallway and look a little gloomy, he asks me random questions to get me to laugh, and it works every time. Overall, he is a great teacher with a great attitude 24/7.

Msgt Howie is very inspirational, sharing stories and being our NSI. Before DMA, he served in the Marines and fought in Afghanistan and is very proud to have served the country. The fact that he joined DMA after the Marines, is truly amazing. Sometimes he shares pictures from Afghanistan or wherever he was deployed. He tells his stories very vividly, and you can tell that everyone is interested by their body language.

A great instructor shares life experiences, helps his classes grow, is determined, and has great communication skills. Msgt always keeps us in step and makes sure we look presentable. He gets sidetracked a lot, and we end up discussing a whole other topic. Our platoon is very well put together, thanks to Msgt, marching us to victory.  We have very important talks, and then, we goof off and hang out.

In conclusion, Msgt Howie is the best pick for Educator of the Year. He’s intelligent, brave, heroic, inspiring, enthusiastic, and the best NSI ever. If you ask anyone, they would agree with me; there are many stories about him that proves it too. This is why I believe he deserves to be the Educator of the Year.