Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled

April 18, 2016
By NightRaven119 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
NightRaven119 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Committed. Caring. Courageous. That’s Mrs. Laubenstein. Being a teacher for over 25 years, she made educating her life and passion. However, to me and the rest of the students at Peace Lutheran Academy, she is like a family member--like a second mother.
Mrs. Laubenstein was my teacher from kindergarten through third grade. Yet, she did not just teach one subject. She was my English, math, and science teacher. She was the teacher who helped me through my struggles in school and at home. She was my teacher. She is my family.
To say my teacher was like a second mother probably sounds odd; however, for those that know Peace Lutheran Academy, it’s not odd at all. My grade school was tiny. I was the only student in my grade. And because of this, I had some classes all by myself. I loved Mrs. Laubenstein because she taught just for me (even if it meant going over the same math problem ten times).
Mrs. Laubenstein always went above and beyond for me, and one example was in fifth grade. A teacher left my school which forced me to move back to Mrs. Laubenstein’s class. This meant I was stuck with little kids for another year. Even though I adored Mrs. Laubenstein as a teacher, I still longed to be with the cool sixth, seventh, and eighth graders. I didn’t want to be trapped with the little kids. This is where Wonder Woman saved the day.
After a week went by, Mrs. Laubenstein noticed I was having trouble focusing and wasn’t enjoying school. So she created a space in the room that was fourth and fifth grade territory only. It allowed me to focus, exceed expectations, and enjoy school. Changing the entire classroom was not something Mrs. Laubenstein needed to do, but she did it because she knew it would be the best for me.
Fond memories of Mrs. Laubenstein still drift around in my mind, but they don’t all involve school. One of the most vivid memories I have was when she comforted me and helped me after my grandmother’s death. She asked me everyday how I was doing, and when I needed time to talk, she always listened. She was like a second mother to me and always will be.
School. It’s a hell most people would rather not be at. However, for me, it was like going to an amusement park everyday. School was fun for me, and I enjoyed it because of Mrs. Laubenstein.
Now after retirement, she is still teaching me. She is teaching me that life can be difficult, even for the best of us. After she retired in 2015, she was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Battling it for over a year now, she stays strong and hopeful through it all. When she was originally diagnosed, she still taught at the school when she could--even after she retired.
Mrs. Laubenstein. She’s a teacher, a mother, a fighter. She’s someone no one could forget. She’s someone I won’t forget. Mrs. Laubenstein. She’s committed, caring, and courageous...she is my Wonder Woman.