Coach Kuehl, The Best Coach Ever | Teen Ink

Coach Kuehl, The Best Coach Ever

By Norma_10 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Norma_10 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Going into middle school I didn’t really know what to expect. The first few weeks were really challenging for me because I couldn’t keep up with my work, and had no idea how to stay on track. Then after months of work and stress, I tried out for the soccer team. It was the best decision I made in my life. I never played for a team before that day, and I didn’t know for what position to choose. At that moment I decided to go for the center back position, or in other words a defender. Then, that’s when I met the coach that changed my perspective on soccer. Coach Kuehl was the man that made me fall in love with soccer.
Every day after school, I would stay and try my best to secure a spot on the team. From getting hurt, to crying of pain, I stayed strong and didn’t let anyone find my weaknesses. I felt that I wasn’t the best one there, but everyone else thought that I had the potential to make it. Those words really gave me hope, faith, and the love I needed to keep up what I had been doing.
After a few days of judgement, the list was posted by Coach Kuehl’s door. At first, I didn’t want to see the results. My friends had said to go look at it with them, but I refused. I felt as if I didn’t have the potential and technique to accomplish my goal. Then all of a sudden I hear, “Norma, you made it!” I was confused and puzzled of what I had just heard. Tears of happiness filled my eyes. I tried not let my emotions get the best of me, but I had failed.
With a way of teaching that was wonderful and filled with love and care, I could hear him talk all afternoon. Once the season started, he pushed us all until we reached our limits. I enjoyed seeing myself go through this phase of hard work and dedication. When we had our first games, Coach Kuehl, gave us speeches of encouragement. Of course we had our wins and losses, but to me, every single one of them made me stronger. Sadly, we lost our chance to go to the finals, I was heartbroken. I let the tears flow down my face, but at that moment, I thought about all the things Coach Kuehl had said, and picked myself up.
Today, I am happy to say that if it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have the success I have now in soccer. Making the JV team in high school was something unexpected for me. I owe this all to him, and to his words of inspiration. In addition, I never knew that a sport could bring out the pain inside of me, and the emotions of losing a game was unbearable. He taught me to keep trying and move through life with a breeze. I am grateful that I was able to meet and learn from the best coach ever. He will never be forgotten because he is the one who I thank in every one of my games. 

Coach Kuehl is the reason why my passion for soccer has grown so much, therefore I decided to nominate him as Educator of The Year.