Educator of the Year Msgt. Howie | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year Msgt. Howie

By Nate.law BRONZE, Middletown, Delaware
Nate.law BRONZE, Middletown, Delaware

My first day of high school was just  seven months ago, yet it seems so far away. Starting a new school with new classmates I didn't even know was very overwhelming. I attend  an NJROTC school called The Delaware Military Academy, a high school mixed with navy core values and high school education. It also didn’t I was scared because I assumed that people from the military seemed harsh and always stern, and I was also afraid it was going to be that way. Then I met Msgt. Kevin Howie; spending time in his class and getting to know him, gave me not only a different view of the school and the instructors but of  him too. I picked Msgt. Howie for Educator of the Year because of the morals he teaches me, his personality traits and that he’s funny; he also cares about his students.
The information Msgt. teaches is always interesting to learn, not just for military lessons  but for moral lessons too. When he teaches you, he has a way of putting out the information so that  it always sticks with you and you remembered it clearly; even if you’ve learned it already, he helps you to see and understand it clearly. The stories he tells along with the lesson would be entertaining if he had any that corresponded with what we were talking about. Stories about his time in the Marines or time about his life experiences would have me listening so much, in fact, that if anyone tried to talk to me while I was listening, I would ignore them because I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
His personality adds to the fact of how great of a teacher he is. When I first came to this school and met him, his tall figure and monotone face from years of being in the Marines scared me, and it didn’t help that I always assumed that Marines were these tough soldiers that constantly screamed. However, once the year started to go by and I was in the class more, I got to see his actual personality more and more. He’s a really funny guy, and can relate to my class easier. Because of this, his class rarely has a dull moment and is usually interesting. When things get out of hand his stoic face and stern voice is quick enough to put us in shape.
He really cares about his cadets (just the name we use for students) and is willing to help us in any way he can. He is always happy to help us with our problems and answer any questions we have. He tries to prepare us for college by making us do certain things so it becomes a habit and once we enter college it becomes natural to us so we have no trouble. When we have trouble with our Navy side of learning he’s there to help too. From helping us with our measurements of our items on our clothing, to helping us shine our shoes better, even with helping us get items we need and to stay updated he’s  there to help. I appreciate his assistance and that makes me very grateful to him for being my teacher.

Msgt. Howie is overall a great person, from being a mentor,his great personality that makes him easy to talk to and relate and finally him caring about his cadets. He’s patient as he teaches us new things, gives great advice and is funny. I’m glad  to have him as a teacher and put him in as Educator of the Year.