Educator Of The Year: Kim Dorda | Teen Ink

Educator Of The Year: Kim Dorda

By ashleybarnett BRONZE, WILMINGTON, Delaware
ashleybarnett BRONZE, WILMINGTON, Delaware

When I was in the eighth grade, I had a hard time in school. Attending a school that has an advanced curriculum like Conrad was difficult, and I struggled. I loathed going to school, but there was always one class I looked forward to attending: English Language Arts with Mrs. Dorda. Mrs. Dorda has the unique ability to be straightforward with her advice, but she is also compassionate and relatable. These personality characteristics in addition to her hard work and dedication make Mrs. Dorda the best teacher and mentor I have ever had the pleasure of being taught by.

Mrs. Dorda is very understanding and open to new ideas. I can recall one of many occasions where I had a terrible migraine while we were doing classwork. Mrs. Dorda said if I finished my work, I could put my head down and take a rest. Mrs. Dorda cares about her students’ success more than anything else. She is very approachable and easy to talk to. She gives good advice and I still remember the lessons she has taught me to this day.

She is a great teacher because of the way in which she teaches the class. She is passionate about the material she is teaching and wants all of us to succeed.The most uninteresting topics were made tolerable because of the way she presented it. She provided ways of learning that were interesting and engaging. For example, one time we had to write an essay, so to make the task less monotonous, she turned on music for us to listen to.

She is always cheering people up when they are down. She has a great attitude that could make even the most somber  person smile. Everyday I would walk into her room to have her greet me with a “Good Morning”. She is always happy and uses humor to provide comic relief to less interesting subjects. As a student, it is easier to learn when the teacher is passionate and optimistic. In many instances, I have come to Mrs. Dorda for advice on school and even personal matters. Being open to discussion and willing to listen allows teachers to connect better with their students, leading to a more successful class as a whole. Mrs. Dorda is this type of teacher.

Mrs. Dorda deserves to be Educator of the Year because she is understanding, engaging, approachable and has a positive attitude. She has helped a countless number of students, including myself, succeed in English through her excellent teaching methods and dedication. She put English in a different perspective that made me really enjoy it. If every teacher was as positive and dedicated to teaching as Mrs. Dorda, every single student would undoubtedly enjoy learning. Mrs. Dorda deserves to be Educator of the Year for these reasons and so many more.