Mr. Ryan | Teen Ink

Mr. Ryan

By colinsmith BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
colinsmith BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Mr. Ryan
Delaware Military Academy

Mr. Ryan, not just the football coach or the guidance counselor, but also one of my good friends. “Coach” treats each one of his players and students as his family. He creates a strong bond between himself and the kid. His calm and cool personality makes it easy and comfortable for anyone to come and talk to him about anything at any time. He always has open ears and is very respectful. Coach is a determined, straightforward, influential, wise, and caring person who to me and so many others is truly the Educator of the Year.

Coach Ryan is very strong with his words. As a coach and a counselor his words must be smooth and powerful, which is why he is well suited and a good match for his job. Mr. Ryan is very good with his words and always knows what to say, and when to say it. He speaks in such a mature and clever way that his words really have an impact on his peers. He personally wants the best out of each and everyone of us and takes us in as his family, but at the same time as the mature young adults we really are. He looks out for every single one of us and guides us along the path to success, creating those strong lifelong bonds.  The relationship a kid makes with Coach is for sure one you will never forget. Mr. Ryan carries his actions onto the field, looking out for each one of his players. This football season Coach led us to the playoffs with a 9-1 record. Before each game he would give a strong motivational and inspirational story or speech to prepare us for battle. Coach wants the best out of each of his players and students, and in return he gives his best.

In the middle of the school year, I was highly considering transferring from my school, the Delaware Military Academy. I had a meeting with our Commandant Mr. Pullella, and once word got to Mr. Ryan, it didn't take long for him to call me to his office. Coach had my best interest in mind and thought about what was best for me. During that meeting we talked about all of the concerns I had, and he was able to give me a full answer, if not, it was the best answer he could have. He didn't look at what was best for the school, or the sports program, but what was best for my future. Mr. Ryan told me that along my path to success he would be there right alongside me. My main concern was about my future, and concerns as to if this school was going to be able to get me to where I want to go in my life. We had a nice long conversation and looked at all my options, and he explained to me and verified that where I am right now, I am already setting myself up for success. This led into the next big conversation: college.

Coach wanted to give me a big future, but I needed to work my way up to it. I was introduced to college board, which would help me find colleges right for me and help balance my options. Since I was an athlete we took the consideration of me having the opportunity to play sports in college. We searched through multiple colleges of many different divisions in different regions to try to find one that would match me. Once we found one, he guided me through the website, and explained to me all my options and possible scholarship opportunities. Afterwards, Coach printed out copies including all the information I should know and even a step by step plan on how to prepare and work my way up to college. Mr. Ryan always has my back through anything, and he made it clear he did till the end. He keeps up to date with me and asks how things are going with school, sports, and life. How often does a student find someone as reliable and easy to turn to as Coach? That relationship with Coach is truly a special one. He will help you get to where you need to be. Mr. Ryan works to see us accomplish our dreams and go far.

I am not able to capture the true excellence and uniqueness of Mr. Ryan is in an essay. No one can truly explain or prove someone’s pure excellence on a paper. Mr. Ryan deserves more than a paper to thank him for all he has done for me and everyone around him. Many at DMA are forever grateful for all he has done for this school and for the programs, making him truly the face of this school. Mr. Ryan is a very energetic, humorous man who will light up a room and bring smiles to everyone's faces. Coach has done nothing but want the best for and from me. He helps me get to where I need to be to achieve my dreams, and he thinks about the student, not himself, not the school… the student. He truly goes above and beyond his role in this school, and carries out Delaware Military Academy's Scholarship, Leadership and Citizenship. Proving that Mr. Ryan is truly my Educator of the Year, and he lives like one every day.