Your Impacts | Teen Ink

Your Impacts

February 20, 2016
By Emilyyyy BRONZE, Skokie, Illinois
Emilyyyy BRONZE, Skokie, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Mrs. Zickgraf,

Over the years, many teachers taught me valuable lessons. But, you taught me important educational and non-educational lessons, such as organization. When I attended sixth grade, you helped me prepare for middle school, a big step from the elementary grades. In your homeroom, you taught me to keep myself organized in order to grow into a successful student. Now, I try to keep my work as organized as possible to keep myself on track with my homework and extracurricular activities. Along with organization, your influences caused me to remain responsible and pay attention to my schoolwork. Not only do these lessons compel me to transform into a successful student and person, but you inspire me as well.

I admire your strength and perseverance through the toughest times and your passion for teaching. This provides a perfect definition of a role model. You experienced a couple of injuries when I attended seventh grade. One time, you broke your jaw and wore a brace for your mouth. Although you did not speak clearly for a couple of weeks, you still went back to school and taught your classes. From this experience, I learned to continue to do what I love, even if obstacles try to stop me. You continued to teach even though you faced many difficulties. Experiences like these taught me to feel more appreciation for teachers.

When you educated our science class, I appreciated the way you taught and the passion you created behind it because I never really enjoyed learning about science. But, you gave us many labs to complete and the effort you put into teaching appeared unimaginable. One lab I specifically remember included an experiment where we worked together with our partners to fill a tin canister with as many grains of rice in order for it to float on water. Although my partner and I lost, we still enjoyed participating in the lab. You helped me transform into a student who enjoyed completing labs and participating in science lessons. Overtime, as my homeroom teacher, seventh grade science teacher, and electives teacher, you grew into one of the most important influences to me. Thank you for your passion for teaching, the lessons you taught me throughout the years, and changing my thoughts and views on school.