The Best Educator of 2015 | Teen Ink

The Best Educator of 2015

By wilmql BRONZE, Parkland, Florida
wilmql BRONZE, Parkland, Florida
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

This year’s “ Educator of the year” in my opinion should be Mrs. Bourne; my 7th grade math teacher. Mrs. Bourne would always help me when I was confused and was always welcoming whenever I came for extra help. This is the story on how I went from almost failing the class to ending up with an “A+” on the final exam.

Last year, when I was in 7th grade I took the Pre-Algebra math course at my school. My teacher was Mrs. Bourne. When I first started the class in the first trimester I had a solid “A”.  Later in the trimester there was one test that had brought my grade down tremendously. I went from an “A” down to a “B”. My score on the test was a “C+”. I got a little worried that I was not understanding the topic very well. The next day I asked Mrs. Bourne if I could meet with her after school that day to review the test. She said that it was no problem and that I would meet her in her room at 4:00. Not much later it was 4:00 and I went to go and meet her in her room. We discussed the test and she told me that I was just having trouble on a couple of subjects. She told me that I could come to her room whenever I wanted for extra help so I felt comfortable with the material.

From that day on I would always go to her room for extra help every Tuesday and if I ever struggled in a topic that she had just taught that day I would go to her classroom after school the same day so I understood the topic much better. On the next test which was the last test of the trimester, I had went to extra help the day before and ended up getting an “A” on the test which boosted my final grade up to an “A-”. In the second trimester I continued going to extra help every Tuesday and I ended up with another “A” as my final grade for the trimester. All that was left was the third and final trimester and at the end of the trimester the final exam.

Throughout the third trimester I only ended up losing less than 20 points on tests and quizzes and all that was was to do now was the final exam. It was the last day of the school year and this was my final exam. If I messed this score up though it would have brought my grade down from an “A-” to a “B”. I went into the room to take the exam almost shaking with fear that I wasn’t going to do good. I was handed the exam and had an hour and a half to complete it. It felt like time was drifting past me too fast. I had five minutes left and two questions left. I had finished the first one and the other one just before time ran out. I was still scared since I didn’t even have time to check over my work. I handed it in thinking that I messed up on the worst assignment I could knowing what could happen to my grade.

A week later I went online to see my grade and found out that my grade did change, but it didn’t drop it raised from an “A-” to a solid “A” as my final grade for the trimester. That is the story of how I almost failed the class to ending up with an “A”. This story is the reason why I feel that Mrs. Bourne should be nominated for the “Educator of the Year” award.