Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

October 7, 2014
By Tucker16 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Tucker16 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was sitting in my desk on the first day of sophomore year, and the last thing I wanted to do before going home was US History. Then the bell rung.  Mr. Herriot entered the room and shouted “Hello Scholars!” instantly silencing the slight chatter in the class.  He had a keen ability to keep everyones unwavering attention for the whole class.
Mr. Herriot always had a way of making history fun and humourous.  He is very knowledgeable on the subject and can keep your interest throughout the whole 40 minute class period.  Every day I looked forward to tenth hour so I could see what his next history lesson was going to be about.
Even though he is a history teacher, Mr. Herriot always had a new set of current events on the board.  Along with that at the beginning of every class we had a discussion on what was going on in the world now, before we got into what already happened.
Mr. Herriot is a dedicated teacher, teaching US History, Psychology, coaching the boy’s track team, and being a father.  Somehow he seems to always have more space of knowledge, and is willing to learn more.  He is willing to come early, or late and he has a study session a couple mornings before a test. 
His students are his number 1, he wants you to learn, but he always keeps the class exciting with his extreme sarcasm.   Everyday Sophomore year I looked forward to history with Mr. Herriot.  Now, Junior year, I wait for ninth hour psychology with Mr. Herriot.  Not only has he made an impact on my life, he’s made an impact on every one of his students lives, and I hope that somehow I can return the favor.