EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR | Teen Ink

EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR

By bbanks98 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
bbanks98 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

im still alive

I heard about the Educator of the Year Award in English. The first thing I was trying to think about is who has really made a difference in my life, and who helped me the most when I was down. That is when I knew who to pick, my middle school guidance counselor, Mrs.Basara. With the many issues I encountered during my three years at Skyline Middle School, it was an easy choice for me.
She helped me with my issues, she was always there for me. I have anxiety issues especially when I was in the 6th grade. I had a concussion which escalated it, so I would go to her office tired from the lack of sleep and would talk to her. She knew the right things to say to calm me down. Whenever I needed her help, she was there. I have never really met a teacher/guidance counselor who was so nice. In the past I have had people who said walk it off or ignore it, but the thing is anxiety is hard to ignore. The other thing I liked is how she would stay in touch with my mom if I had a bad day. My mom would know by the end of the day how I was doing through an email or a phone call that she had received from Ms.Basara.
Another thing I like about her is how she wasn't strict like other teachers.
For example, every day during lunch she allowed my friends and me to eat in her room because the lunch room was so noisy. Plus, I used to play pranks on a lot of the teachers, including her, and she had a really good sense of humor about it. At the end of the year Ms. Basara and her accomplices got me back by stuffing a bunch of balloons in my locker. I guess I can’t blame her though because I used to stuff expo markers and bananas in her coat pockets “mwahahahaha”. I did like the fact that she gave me a little balloon on my birthday. I don’t know maybe she likes balloons or something.
Perhaps the most important things I like about Mrs.Basara is that she was an ideal role model. For instance, she was very organized, and she was always nice to everyone. First her desk, bag, and everything was very organized; it encouraged me to be organized. She was nice no matter what. Everyone has bad days, and I bet she did to, but she never really showed it. There is no reason to be angry at everything. All it’s going to do is get you in trouble. So when I feel like I’m getting angry, I just calm down, well sometimes. Like I said she just knew how to make things better, and I want to follow in her footsteps. I do not want to become a counselor, but I want to help people like she does. That is why I want to go into the Coast Guard to be able to help others and make a difference.
I have mentioned a lot of the reasons why I choose Mrs.Basara for my Educator of the Year. I like the way she acts and the way she helps people. I think she would make the best Educator of the Year. I think everyone who knows her would agree that she would be fit for the job. Her attitude, being a good role model, playing pranks, and letting us eat with her, all make her a good person. Pick her Teen Ink; she deserves it.