The Good Things About a Teacher | Teen Ink

The Good Things About a Teacher

February 22, 2011
By Maya Stamsta BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Maya Stamsta BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

D’s, D-’s, and even F’s. Those were my grades in math ever since I could remember. I would do all that I could; I would do the homework, ask questions, and even go in whenever possible to get extra help. But nothing helped.

What made me more scared and miserable was that I was going into high school the next year and I already knew my math career would not end well.

My freshman year was as I expected: an epic and miserable disaster. I did not pass my math class and I was forced to retake it the following year. But little did I know, things were going to drastically change…for the better. In the next year, I was going to meet that one teacher who was going to open a whole new world for me.

I walked into the new class. The teacher Mr. Martin was smiling, standing and waiting. I was the first one in the classroom, so I bowed my head, saying nothing to him except for a timid, sorry excuse for a hello. I sat down in my assigned seat. Soon, the rest of the class entered and class began.

He started talking and I zoned in. All of a sudden, he asked a question about a problem on the board. I studied it and, to my shock, I got it. I raised my hand and he called on me. I whispered the answer, too scared to speak any louder. To this day, I don’t know how he was able to hear me. He smiled and said, “Correct” and I instantly felt a jolt go through me. Never in my life had I had a teacher said that to me in math without some sort of correction.
Since that day, things got even better. I rapidly understood the material and I was doing better than average on my tests. I would not go into the class with a smile. And I always looked forward to the day ahead.

To me, Mr. Martin’s words are like King Midis’ touch—they are golden! With each lessen I spent in his class, I was astounded that I was able to leave class and still remember the lesson afterwards. I was able to do the homework on my own—and if I needed help, he moved things around in his schedule to accommodate me. A great teacher should be able to take a student’s worst subject and make it into a positive experience.

I owe Mr. Martin for more than just the math help he gave me. I owe him for all the confidence he instilled in me to get through math. Mr. Martin helped to not only pass algebra, but he also helped me get a B in the class. That B was my FIRST passing grade in math—and I could hardly believe it was my grade.