Paul Brester | Teen Ink

Paul Brester

February 14, 2024
By NathanSaloga BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
NathanSaloga BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Anyone have any events yesterday?” Mr. Brester would always ask this question at the beginning of class and everyone would share how they did at their sporting events yesterday. He’s always intrigued and interested in what everyone has to say and what is happening in everyone’s life. He’s not just a teacher to us–he’s like family.

I met Mr. Brester during my sophomore year at Arrowhead Union High School in Accounting and have taken his accounting classes every year since. This is my third year in his class, and I look forward to seeing him every day.

Mr. Brester is welcoming, helpful, and funny. He always makes jokes during class that relate to us. He talks about how short he is in class and when someone tells an obvious lie to him, his response is, “And I am six feet tall.” This would always enlighten my day. This helps me look forward to school and helps make learning in accounting fun. 

One day, I stood against him to see who was taller, and I was about an inch taller so he said “You're a big boy now.” This was a class joke because I was always the shortest person in his class.

Every day we would spend a couple of minutes talking about Wisconsin sports and our thoughts on what was going on. This helped me and my classmates become closer to Mr. Brester and we would always have something to talk about with him. He would make connections between the accounting work and our interests which would make it easier for us to learn.

I also like when Mr. Brester talks about his personal life. Last year he would talk about going to the high school playoff games of the girl's basketball team his son coaches. He always talks about what he had for dinner last night, and the rare occasions of him going out to dinner, mostly to the Five O’Clock Club. This helps me and the other students feel comfortable with Mr. Brester and allows us to easily ask him questions without being uncomfortable.

Mr. Brester is also extremely helpful and walks us through anything that we are struggling with. He tries to give us hints to answer our classwork questions but would let us figure out the answer on our own. This helps me better understand what is going on in the class and helps me avoid making the same mistakes again.

I have created many memories in my three years in Mr. Brester’s class. His way of connecting with students makes him one of a kind. Whenever an adult asks me multiple questions about my day, I will always think back to being in Mr. Brester’s accounting class.