My 9th Grade Inspiration | Teen Ink

My 9th Grade Inspiration

By InsidiousMangoTango BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
InsidiousMangoTango BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

"Don't say you can't until you prove you can't." - Les Paul

I'm certain my English teacher isn't the best, but to me, in my reality, he is. Like a child whose mother is the best in their eyes, everyone has their own reality. That does not deter me, however, from sharing my teacher with the world as I believe his unique impact on students is unlike any other educator.

As a matter of routine, everyday he’d wear a neutral-toned suit and a crimson tie. He’d walk into the room with polished shoes, slicked back hair, and gold-rimmed glasses. The first day in class, he vividly introduced himself as Mr. Cole, the toughest teacher in 9th grade. During his talk, he said he expected us to explore our limits and embrace the upcoming challenges during the semester. That expectation stuck with me incessantly. Through every essay, every paragraph, and every word, it rattled around in my brain making me constantly think deeper. 

He wasn't one for lectures and always made everyone do whatever they could to figure out the questions- no matter how much we struggled. Though the work was laborious, he kept the class entertaining. He loved to use sarcasm and humor to make fun of the struggle, making the process spirited and getting me determined to find nuance. Even when I did poorly, he shared his candid opinion with me, and his playful smirks and witty teases reassured me that he wasn't judging. He taught me to be more confident in facing my mistakes, and reminded me not to take them too harshly. Not only did Mr. Cole give us feedback, but he asked us for feedback on him. During the middle of the semester he gave us a form to fill out about his teaching style. He asked us how he could improve as he was open to advice and valued our opinions. He was so committed to improving his teaching that I was inspired to open up to criticism of myself as well.

Mr. Cole was always at his door, easily accessible to anyone who wanted to openly talk. Even at the end of the day he had interesting conversations with us outside of school-related topics. He treated us as though our opinion actually mattered and our discourse challenged him and his ideas, which made our conversations remarkably stimulating.

The challenges he made me face ignited an insatiable desire to learn that no other teacher had come close to doing. Because of him, instead of just talking about superficial topics, I began to have deeper conversations with everyone around me. Even now, I try to approach other classes with the same enthusiasm and eagerness he instilled in me.

Whenever I left his room, I felt proud of what I had created. No matter the assignment, worksheet or essay, I know I put in my finest effort. I know Mr. Cole helps everyone understand tenacity, and to me, that's one of the most valuable things a teacher can offer. His influence has shaped my views in a way that I now embrace ideas through a fresh lens. Not to mention, I carry a kernel of his lighthearted sarcasm with me wherever I go. Mr. Cole cannot be encapsulated in 500 words, though I profess, I tried my hardest.