Bertha The Lunch Lady | Teen Ink

Bertha The Lunch Lady

By 3getz PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
3getz PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

Lunch ladies are special people. The ones I have met seem like actual people. They talk to me. Care about me. Learn about me. They’re not robots whose whole purpose is to feed you food. They’re one of the most supportive groups of people I have ever met. 

My senior year at Arrowhead High was when I met Bertha–the lunch lady. I’ve always seen her but I never interacted. I knew all my friends liked Bertha but I didn’t have a personal experience with her. Until one day we started chatting, trying to find the best thing to eat. We introduce ourselves. “My name is Ty.” “My name is Bertha.” 

“Hi Ty.” In her warm voice, she greeted me every time I got lunch. 

Bertha is always smiling and in a happy mood. I don’t think anything could put her in a negative mood. She never fails to make me smile.

Bertha is super supportive. I would tell her about one of my swim meets happening after school and she would show up and come support me. She would keep the stamp on her hand from the entrance just as proof for showing up. 

“Sorry Ty, sorry Ty.”

Bertha is a social person. It’s easy to talk to her. Everytime she sees me, if that would be at school or out in public, she would come up to me and talk to me. I work at Pick n’ Save on Sundays and she would come to visit me. She even gives me chocolate sometimes. 

Bertha cares about all of her students. I’m just one example of many. She does more than her job description says. She doesn’t only serve students their lunches but she interacts with them everyday. Bertha the lunch lady has personally touched my heart this senior year and I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

Thank you, Bertha. 

on Jul. 20 2023 at 6:47 pm
mateocruzf BRONZE, Christiana, Tennessee

Aren't we all waiting to be read by someone, praying that they'll tell us that we make sense?
-Rudy Francisco

Lunch Lady appreciation is something I would like to see more of! This is so sweet!