My Favorite Educator | Teen Ink

My Favorite Educator

By DrollNewt402346 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
DrollNewt402346 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Sophomore year at Arrowhead High School was like a burning tree struck by lightning. The brothers I grew up with were now gray and dull from the tragedy that happened to our family. I felt like my world was a trash compactor closing in on me. Amongst the pain and tragedy, I was greeted with hope. The sounds of music and the simplicity of melodies surrounded me with rays of music notes. The music spoke in ways I could not with words. Mr. Polancich helped me turn my sad Lament world around into a Sousa work of art.

I had the passion to play the trumpet like I was in 1967. I thought I lacked the skills, the abilities to swing like the folks in Louisiana. I gave up hope trying to play with the Jazz Band at school. Yet some part of me was forced to audition. I asked myself, is it worth it? Could a low life like me get in? Yet Mr. P encouraged me. The audition was so nerve-racking that I felt like my soul was about to leave my body. Mr. P just sat in his chair and smiled.     

I knew the second I walked onto the stage and he gave me music to play and the stage turned into a sauna. The pressure started to build. When I finished playing I almost bursted into tears. My legs started wobbling. I thought, what does he think of me? That’s probably the worst audition he’s ever heard. Why did I even try? After he was done typing how I sounded on his computer. He didn’t say a word. He just listened and told me about the potential I had; he said I would be great for the ensemble.

The tears of disappointment inside my eyes turned to joy as I walked off the stage. Happiness flooded the air. I went to the bathroom just to take a second and cry. Not in a sad way. Just because someone listened. I didn’t share my problems. I didn’t tell him my life story. I just had a bad audition. Mr. P just listened to the word I could not speak but played. 

He encouraged me to keep doing better and keep improving. Even though he didn’t know until now, he was there when I needed him the most. He didn’t know until now. My. P is my hero. It’s because of him I want to be a band director. I want to teach the things you taught me (and will teach me). All I have left to say is…

Thank you for everything.