My Favorite Teacher | Teen Ink

My Favorite Teacher

November 18, 2019
By phunt01 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
phunt01 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Normally I wouldn’t consider a teacher to be my friend. Maybe it’s because I never had Coach Bud as a teacher that I think of him that way. I think the reason is his personality. His infectious energy and inability to sit still make him stand out. His passion coupled with his undoubted loyalty and rock-solid belief have made him a valuable person to have in my life. 

I have only ever know Bud as my golf coach. It is only through tales of his younger days that I have crafted the image of Mr. Budzien, the high school English teacher. From before the spring of my freshman year, when I first teed it up under Coach Bud’s leadership, to this very day, I have gotten to know one of the kindest, purest humans to ever walk the earth.

My favorite memory from all my adventures with Coach Bud is the playoff for the State Title at the end of my sophomore year of high school. The team had taken second, and I was tied for first individually. The only way to crown one champion was through a playoff. 

Bud’s focus immediately shifted. Any sorrow or devastation he felt about falling short of the team title was shoved to the farthest corner of his body. He came bounding down the fairway and I was met with his ever positive attitude. He told me, “The team stuff is behind us, let’s see you win this thing.” I turned back to the shot I was about to hit and thought, There’s no way I lose this. 

Unfortunately, I didn’t close out the title on the first playoff hole. I hit a terrible tee shot on the second hole. I’m sure everyone was thinking I had no chance. I disagreed with their unspoken opinion. 

Bud met me at my ball; he had already scouted the options. When I said I thought I should go for the miracle shot, he encouraged me, reenforcing my confidence. “You got this, Pierce.” 

I pulled it off and won the hole, and with it, the state championship. The first person I hugged was Coach Bud. 

We stood there, and in that moment, time seemed to stand still. Bud told me how proud he was of my for my fight and for my passion. We were thrilled to have pulled out back to back individual titles, but our true desire was for our second straight team title. We had come up short of our goal, and tears rolled down both of our faces. The tears were not for good or for bad, but for both—a combination of joy and sorrow. 

Thank you, Bud, for being with me through it all, you have helped shape me into the person I am today and I am forever thankful for your support and belief.