Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

May 31, 2019
By Holdini42 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
Holdini42 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


    I have chosen Senior Chief McClain to nominate for educator of the year nomination. Even though this is his last year, he should be appointed as Educator of the Year because he has a style in the way he teaches classes that other educators don’t have. Senior Chief also has many redeeming qualities that make him a good educator. 
  One of the fist reasons why Senior Chief should be nominated is that the fact he can teach while simultaneously be funny and light hearted.  He does this is every day; he cracks a couple jokes here and there most of all every Monday to lighten the mood. He even sometimes makes one of us yell a joke, dance or tell a riddle. It's just whenever I walk into Senior Chief’s class room, I'm always curious about what naval history we’re going to learn or what he's going to say to Cadet Cooper. All in all, it’s a great atmosphere to learn in and still have fun while learning new and interesting information. 
  The second reason is that Senior Chief is just a good person, and he enjoys his students. The reason I say this is because on my birthday after my pushups we went to the dome to practice drill. Then, he asked me what I was doing for my birthday, and I said we were going out to Bob Evans for dinner and he said really, and he pulled out two coupons for Bob Evans from his wallet. he gave them to me back in November. I never really talked to Senior Chief nor had a full conversation with him until then.  The fact he just gave a cadet two coupons I was so surprised at what just happened to me. I've never had any teachers this nice since sixth grade and elementary school.  I was just surprised on how DMA’s NSIs are so down to earth. 
  My third and final reason why Senior Chief should be Educator of the Year is because the subject he teaches. Senior Chief was in the Navy for more than 20 years, so he has many stories, some wisdom and good life advice. The main thing he knows is about the Navy and he teaches us vast information on how the navy was when he was still enlisted. His work has inspired me to take a closer look into the Navy as a career path. Also, his deep knowledge of the Navy science program and passion for the subject helps him be an amazing teacher over all.  
  Senior Chief is my nomination for Educator of the Year, and I hope you learned why.  Senior Chief’s last year at DMA comes to an end, I hope his ways of teaching will forever echo throughout the halls in DMA.  May his teaching style keep everyone he taught motivated once they leave high school.  


The author's comments:

this is all true and from the work of mason holden