educator of the year | Teen Ink

educator of the year

May 30, 2019
By angpala BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
angpala BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I nominate Master Sergeant Howie for Educator of the Year. Master Sergeant is my naval science instructor at Delaware Military Academy. I have had so many great teachers in the past couple of years, but Master Sergeant really stands out. I know that he is the right one to nominate. Let me just start off by saying that he made me feel so comfortable with this school right away. I came in very nervous, and I still really didn’t know if DMA was the right pick. But, when I walked into his classroom, he welcomed everyone in a fun and happy way. I knew I had made the right choice after that week was over because he really showed me what this school is all about.

Master Sergeant is a very outgoing person. He just has a fun way of explaining all his lessons, and he knows when to also be serious. In class we will act out real life scenarios, and Howie will always add a fun twist into it to make it more interesting and for us to stay engaged with the point of the lesson. For example, we did a lesson on how to treat others, and Master Sergeant came up to us and started to tell a bunch of pick up lines. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed more in a class before. He is always in the mood to dance as well! Sometimes in the mornings, when I am walking to class, I see him by the door dancing to his own music. It brightens my day every time, and sometimes I join in! It’s the little things that he does, that really make him a great instructor! I feel there should always be a balance between teachers. They should know when to have fun and when to be serious, and Master Sergeant has a perfect mixture of all of that.

Coming into DMA, I wanted to have structure so I can be successful coming out of high school. Master Sergeant has taught not only me but many others how to approach others in different situations. I truly feel that he made me a more independent person, and he taught me to make decisions on my own. One of my favorite parts about his class was learning different drills and safety steps. We learned how to help someone if they’re choking, and how to give CPR to someone in need. We also practiced drills like climbing out a window incase of fire, or how to carry others out of a building. You are always doing something in that class; we are always busy doing something interesting and fun! I have learned so much about my personal safety, and I can take this information and pass it on to others. I can use all the information I have learned and use it to help me become a mature adult.

I never really had a huge thing for the military; I always respected them, but I knew I wasn’t going to go anywhere with it. But, after learning more and more about the benefits, it’s really changed my perspective on things, thanks to Master Sergeant! We have watched many videos on what marines do and why they do it. It has really made me appreciate being in this amazing country and having them fight for me. We do different drills and marches that they actually do in service, and I think it is really cool that we can be part of that. Master Sergeant has taught me how to march and solute properly which has really helped me during drill time. Although academics are the most important, Master Sergeant is always asking how I am doing in sports, and he makes sure that I am keeping my grades up as well. He has motivated me so much during this school year.

Overall, Master Sergeant has really showed that he cares about every single one of his students, and that he wants us all to go far in life. When someone is sad, he will pull them aside and talk about whatever they feel comfortable with. I never have a time where I feel unsafe in my school; his first priority is our safety, and he has really showed that. I feel comfortable around him, and I know I always can go to him for advice. I truly believe that Master Sergeant is the best educator I have ever had, and I am so happy I got to have my freshman year in his class. Those are all the reasons why I nominate Master Sergeant Howie for the Educator of the Year!