Educator of The Year nomination | Teen Ink

Educator of The Year nomination

By JeffDMA22 BRONZE, Wilmignton, Delaware
JeffDMA22 BRONZE, Wilmignton, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

For Educator of the Year, I would like to nominate Mr. Thomas from Brandywine Springs Middle School. Last school year he was brand new to the school. Currently, he is the 8th-grade social studies teacher. There's so much I could say why he deserves the title Educator of the Year. There are three main reasons. one he is really funny and relates so much to his students. He also takes on any task and is the leader of the staff; he makes sure everyone and everything is in check. Lastly, he has the best lesson plans that are fun and memorable; I can remember almost every lesson he taught.

Mr. Thomas is a really funny and interesting teacher. I remember one day he trolled the class with a photo he edited that made it seem like he dated Beyonce. He never did, though he also makes sure the class was awake and ready to work; he was always so interesting. At the beginning of the school year, he gave a couple of the student's nicknames; it was so hilarious. He always makes sure students are engaged even if he has to take a break and crack a couple of jokes. Another time he acted like he found a “love letter” of 2 students in the school. Everyone was going crazy about it, but then he read it one day; it was a love letter, but it was among 2 people from back in the day that he made up.

Mr. Thomas is such a great leader in the 8th-grade staff. He watches over the other teachers and makes sure they are doing the right thing. He also isn't just involved in the 8th grade, but also the whole school.Everyone that walks by his room knows his name. This school year one of the other best teachers just retired, and she was doing the school's morning announcements. So Mr. Thomas decided to take over the morning announcements. He played a big part in making me the leader I am today, I always looked up to like him a role model. Mr. Thomas also made sure that all the students were being respectful and doing the right thing. I have gone after school when they record, and I have recorded some things for them I made the introduction for it.

Lastly, Mr. Thomas also made sure that the tasks we did in class... we would remember. I remember this one lesson about the economy where we had 4 students go up and make a commercial for 4 different brands of mint gum. There was also another lesson where we had to reenact a certain event from the 18th century; it was hilarious. There are so many memories of lessons that I will never forget that were so fun. He also made sure the students were involved in what was happening in the world. He would play CNN 10 every morning, and it really taught us what was happening around us. He also took us on one of the best field trips in the world to Colonial Williamsburg it was a 2-night trip, it was so much fun. I still remember walked around Williamsburg to the different shops there. Also, at night one day, we had a military presentation where there were actors acting like we all were under attack.

I think Mr. Thomas deserves the title of the Educator of the Year. He is one of the nicest and the biggest leaders, and I have learned so much from him. To this day I still visit him at the school, and I help him after school when they record the morning announcements. I would not be the person I am today without him. I have so many memories from his class. I am thankful for him and being the first impression for him for BSS.