Ms. Hobbs | Teen Ink

Ms. Hobbs

April 5, 2019
By Writer13409 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Writer13409 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ms.Hobbs Math and Life Teacher of Years

I would like to nominate Janelle Hobbs my mathematics teacher of three years for this award. At this point, I’m convinced she enjoys my personality so much she chooses me each year to be in her class.

While she is an outstanding teacher, we didn't always see eye to eye. My first year at Arrowhead High school, I had Algebra first hour every morning with Ms. Hobbs. As I awkwardly found my way to the classroom navigating the new foreign hallways of South Campus (the building for freshmen and sophomores) I was welcomed to fun energetic music; it was a different start compared to normal mornings.

My parents had started fighting the past couple years and it was tense in the house—so tense I would lay in bed, sleepless listening to make sure everybody was safe. I would wake the next morning feeling terrible and hardly functioning. Some days they would fight in the morning and I would have to wake up and just leave to get away from the madness of this new stressful warzone of an environment.

As this was happening Ms. Hobbs had no clue why I would always look like a mess, eat my lunch during class, and be falling asleep. All of those things were such unnecessary and questionable behaviors.

These concerned her but through all of her attempts to converse I would shut her down instantly my respect for authoritative figures had  diminished with my parents marriage.

However one morning I came in early, restless again and I followed the usual routine of putting my hood up and head down on desk. Mrs. Hobbs gently poked me to wake me up before I could get rest and asked “How are you?”  At first I was angry and upset she would poke her nose into my home life, putting on a hard front I told her, “I’m fine!” as she reviewed my actions and behaviors over the next few days she knew something was wrong and at that moment I realized she wasn't asking as a teacher but as a friend.

With just a simple three word question nobody's yet to ask since all the chaos began at home. I could tell by her genuine tone and facial expression she was someone who I could vent to and confide my secrets with. I told her everything and how home was changed and how I couldn't focus on any school work especially my worst subject math.

Mrs. Hobbs recognized my struggle with my ADHD and stressful homelife and helped me calm down, relax, and get through the rest of my day giving me math help and skills along with many life skills.

An example was patience. As they say patience is a virtue unfortunately something I did not have. However much like math I learned to take my time in life and wait to see the final answer or outcome before changing it and possibly making matters worse. This helped me complete my work home  and when I would be dragged into arguments between my parents keep calm and not react as rash as years before.

To this day, I am in Geometry with Ms. Hobbs and everyday she comes to class and always has the same energetic music and energy surging throughout the room to welcome me into a place where I will be listened to and in return answered eagerly passing down knowledge to carry for the rest of my days.


The author's comments:

The piece was the story of one of the hardest couple years of my life with one teacher who made it better for part of the day.