The Story Of an English Teacher | Teen Ink

The Story Of an English Teacher

What is a teacher? The common answer to that question would be someone who teaches in school. The correct meaninful answer would be someone who gives wings and roots to students. Take my english teacher for example. She showed me that I was a excellent writer , how to improve my writing skills and how to be a better student.

This happened when she gave us a letter writing assignment. This happened not too long since i've put into her class. Wanting to make a good impression I stayed up writing multiple paragraphs , pages being torn out of fustration until finally I conjured the perfect letter. Giving her the letter that day she had a faint smile on her face but it disappeared quickly as it came. The whole day I was nervous : This was my first graded assignment. Skip forward to a day later when she made an announcement that everyone failed except two students who scored an eighty percent. Paying no attention to this because I for one doubted myself already because there was so may brilliant writers in the large class. Getting back my notebook I skipped the pages in large sums because I did not want to see the failing grade. Soon after I was back to my old self forgetting the assignment and went along with my draining day. It was exactly 4: 35pm when i took out the book to do another assignment when my eyes glimpse the page , right on top of the page held a large red tick with a good job and a smiley face coated with a eight-five. Excited , no, ecstatic was the word to discribe my emotion at the moment because I knew that if I made her proud , it was only the beginning of something; spectacular.

Moving forward to a few months when it was essay writing I thought this would be simple I could nail this , turned out I was wrong. My writings were based on serious matters so I could no longer thing of creative things that a thirteen year old could write in a sample of a newspaper article. In conclusion my writings seemed boring. Many told me that I wrote like a middle aged woman , taking it as compliment at the time I later realize that I have put so much effort into trying to make my works sound mature , I forgot how to write like a child. My english teachers later found out about this transition and tried multiple solutions but it was no use I was so fixed on writing like an adult ,  the creativity was gone from my young mind. This was until my english teacher sent me to a site called ' TEENINK'. At first i was fustrated because my writing still stayed the same and then I found the fiction stories and that opened my mind to other great things. My writing got better with the help of her assistance and I now can writing better fictional stories even with serious topics .  She is the reason why I win many writing contests online to this day.

Writing was not the only thing she helped me with .  Before her class I was not much of a mannerable student. I talked , alot ,  especially in classes of teachers. She was so strict that I was scared , terrified to open my mouth in her class only if neccessary. The thought that I could get detention for my speaking in class scared me so much that i made it my duty to zip my mouth. Doing this I understood her class, my hand was always up because as I said before I had a surge to impress this lady. Just doing that in her class I started doing it in other classes that did not only help my grade but consultations were put at ease. My grades were looking up and my GPA lunged through the roof. My parents , family and friends were proud. Most importantly my english teacher , Miss Samuels, was proud.

In analysis my teacher is the reason i am here at this moment. My writing is improving by the minute and my manners have also improved. My teacher is my friend and a shadow of my parents. Even though she is strict and easily annoyed she will always be remembered in my heart and I shall follow my dreams of being a writer and if I pursue I will not hesitate to give her credit.

My teacher Miss Samuels I hope you willl see this one day and see how much you have helped me from your first class and how your first assignment changed me for thr better.