Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By burdett26 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
burdett26 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Educator of the Year

If I had to choose a teacher/coach figure who made my day better everyday; I would choose Master Sergeant Howie.  I have Master Sgt. 5 block everyday, and everyday he makes me laugh or even just smile. His class is one, if not the best class I have ever taken.  This is crazy to say because he is a very big and buff Marine who instructs at a military academy, so saying that he makes me smile and laugh everyday is strange.  Master Sgt. has children of his own, so I’m assuming that is why he has his sense of humor to make all of the cadets laugh and smile.

Master Sgt was in the United States Marine Corp.  He is about 6 feet 7 inches tall, and he is very nice to be around.  When I first saw Master Sgt, I was scared, but then I met him quickly overcoming my fear.  Don’t get me wrong; if you get on his bad side, he might yell at you, but just know when he yells, he is helping you become a more discipline cadet.  Master Sgt. will push all of his cadets to succeed and do their best at whatever task it is that they are doing.

In Master Sgt.’s class we do a wide variety things.  We learn about different military drills and hear stories about his time in the Marines.  In his class we learn all kinds of life skills that can helps us in the real world. He teaches us how to defend ourselves, yet he tells us when to walk away from trouble.  Master Sgt. does so much to keep his cadets safe. He is very protective of his cadets, and I believe that he gained his protective talent from the Marines and being a father.

Master Sgt. is a great leader.  He knows how to run a serious class, but also knows how to have fun.  Every Friday we wear our physical training uniform, and during his class he will bring us to the gym or even outside.  Sometimes Master Sgt. will even bring us to the park or into the neighborhood to clean it up. In the classroom we watch videos and movies that have  to do with leadership. One time we watched a video about the Impractical Jokers and the whole class thought it was a joke, but Master Sgt. found a sense of leadership in the video.

This sums up why I think Master Sergeant Howie should be this year’s Educator of the Year.  Master Sgt. is a great instructor who has a great sense of leadership. Master Sgt. shares his leadership with all of his cadets.  He has made this year so different, but in a good way. I feel that he has changed my life because of all the valuable life lessons he has taught me so far throughout this year.  Thank you so much Master Sgt. Howie.