Arnold Schwarzenegger: Affects on the Children | Teen Ink

Arnold Schwarzenegger: Affects on the Children

October 20, 2011
By MorganMayhem BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
MorganMayhem BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

On May 17th, 2011, a scandalize act of deception, heartache and lies occurred. Arnold Schwarzenegger, former Governor of California, told his wife that he had an affair with the household maid Mildred Patricia Baena. Once he and his secrets were exposed, the media was overjoyed!
Maria Shriver, Schwarzenegger’s ex-wife, speaking for her whole family says, “This is a painful and heartbreaking time. As a mother, my concern is for the children. I ask for compassion, respect and privacy as my children and I try to rebuild our lives and heal…” (Maria Shriver Speaks Out on "Painful and Heartbreaking Time")
It has been an extremely stressful time in Schwarzenegger’s life lately. With the divorce, admitting he has a love child, and the press, it’s very difficult for everyone.

Schwarzenegger states, "After leaving the governor's office, I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago,

"I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry." He goes on by saying, "I ask that the media respect my wife and children through this extremely difficult time. While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not." (Arnold Schwarzenegger admits illegitimate child is reason behind marriage break-up)

Schwarzenegger and Shriver say in a joint statement later announcing their separation.

"This has been a time of great personal and professional transition for each of us," they say. "After a great deal of thought, reflection, discussion and prayer, we came to this decision together. At this time, we are living apart while we work on the future of our relationship." (Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver: Behind Their Separation)

Schwarzenegger’s children, in return of the affair, have removed themselves from their father. That is, just as most children, are dealing with those situations. For Katherine and Patrick, their father’s frivolous actions will affect them long after the spotlight turns.

Gloria Allred is furious about Arnold’s affair and/or love child. In return, she has some harsh words for him.

"He has hurt his wife and his other children by cheating on his wife and then reportedly withholding that important information from her for ten years. He was living a lie at the expense of his family.

"He had a double life and he was deceiving those in his family who loved, trusted and cared about him," the powerhouse attorney added.

"It was a selfish, thoughtless deception and one of the worst things that a husband can do to his family. The consequences of his betrayal will have a lifelong impact on Maria and his children."

"This lie will have a negative and long lasting impact on his legacy. I wish the best for his family, including his newly-acknowledged child and her mother, who were also victims of Arnold.

"I hope that Maria makes Arnold fully accountable in their divorce if there is one and I hope that the mother of his child will make sure that Arnold guarantees that the child’s financial future is secure as well," (Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Deception ‘Will Have a Lifelong Impact on Maria’ Says Gloria Allred) Allred implied.

Only three days after discovering Arnold’s love child, Maria took comfort in her kids helping her through this difficult time. They are all trying their hardest to support their mom and keeping her out of the spotlight.

When you have been married for 25 years, it’s hard to grasp the concept of your long time husband having an affair with the household maid. At that point, all trust what so ever is gone. Katherine, 21, has really been an inspiration to others and has definitely grown from this difficult experience. She is the main support system for her brothers, sisters, her mom, and kids everywhere that have gone through something similar to what her and her family went through.

After Maria took a week off Twitter, she came back on with this tweet, "Congrats to my beautiful & brilliant daughter, @kschwarzenegger, for receiving the GirlPower Award from A Place Called Home today"(Maria Shriver & Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Kids: “Banding Together to Support Mom”). Katherine was presented with the GirlPower Award for being an inspiration for young woman everywhere.

The Schwarzenegger kids are greatly affected by the actions of their father, but have grown from this experience immensely.

The author's comments:
A school assignment required me to do a biological profile.