Actor Luke Bilyk | Teen Ink

Actor Luke Bilyk

By JaySwag GOLD, Lindenwold, New Jersey
JaySwag GOLD, Lindenwold, New Jersey

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all"

First can you please tell us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Luke Bilyk and I am 15 years old. I will be turning 16 this November 10th and can't wait! I've been acting since I was two years old and have three beautiful sisters that are 22, 26 and 27 years old. I'm very active and love all sports including football and ice hockey - to name a few. I have a drum kit at home and enjoy playing the drums. I am currently being home schooled and am in grade 10, going into grade 11. I also have a tutor on the set of Degrassi.

How did you go about being casted on Degrassi?

My Agent sent my headshot and Resume to Degrassi and I was called in for an audition for the role of Jake Matthews, which later got changed to Drew Torres. They liked me so I got called back to do another audition.

Do a lot of people notice you in public? Do you mind it?

Surprisingly, when I'm out in public people do recognize me and ask me if I'm Drew or yell out my name. “Are you Luke Bilyk? You’re on Degrassi right?” I get that quite a bit in places like Canada's Wonderland or at the Mall. I don't mind it at all and I find it amazing. It's not bad, it just takes some getting used to.

Are you more similar or more different from the character you play on Degrassi?

Our clothing and sports are very similar, but I think I am a lot nicer than Drew.

How has your life changed since you’ve been casted on Degrassi?

I am getting to do a lot of amazing things. For example, walking the red carpet at the MMVA's, meeting Miley Cyrus and being invited to the red carpet of the Twighlight premiere. I've also made life long friends in the process. I got to do live interviews on MuchMusic, film an episode of “My Date With” for MuchMusic and in a week I am going to India with my fellow Degrassi cast members to help build a school with Free The Children, an excellent organization.

Where do you see yourself within the next 5 years?

I would love to be acting in films in LA.

Did you find it hard to fit in with the previous cast from Degrassi, or did you all become friends right away?

Everyone is just so nice and I was welcomed in right away. It was not awkward at all. I worked with two of the cast members before on other shows - Jamie Johnson (Peter) on “My Babysitters a Vampire” and Jahmil French (Dave) on “Cartoon Gene”. It is so awesome to work with them again on Degrassi.

What’s it like to watch yourself on TV (do you watch with family, friends, or cast?)

It is pretty weird; I find actors to be their worst critics. I watch Degrassi with family and friends. Sometimes I have cast come over or I go to their places to watch.

A lot of people wanted me to ask if anything is going on between you and Melinda Shankar?

Nope, just the on-screen drama between Drew and Alli!

sstephaniexo says hey and would like to know what you look for in a girl?

For her to be herself. Also to be active and at the same time be able to just have fun chillin’.

fasizzlee from twitter would like to know which do you prefer, Drums or Guitar?

I prefer the Drums.

That was the last question; I want to thank you for taking the time to do the interview. Do you have any last thoughts or comments you want to add?

Thanks for the Interview John! Don’t miss Degrassi, airing Mon-Thurs at 9 pm ET on MuchMusic in Canada and on TeenNick in the US!